Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get an idea of what everyone listens to.

I know there's another topic about favorite songs to speed to, but how about your favorite genre, do you listen to the same music all the time, or different music while you're driving?

I'm really into electronic music, especially experimental and trip hop recently. If you're interested in this kind of music I can give you guys some suggestions.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Who do you listen to? I like a lot of breakbeat/bigbeat/DnB and some trance, but I like all that stuff. I'm a Crystal Method/Infected Mushroom kind of person.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look up DJ Shadow, Booka Shade, Bonobo, Junkie XL, Trentemoller, Govinda... Those are my favorite artists as of today.

Besides Crystal Method and Infected Mushroom, who else do you listen to?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A great bigbeat album is fatboy slims, halfway between the gutter and the stars.

I've just recently branched out from listening exclusively to dance techno, and a lot of this new stuff is amazing.

Ravi Shankar is an amazing artist. He plays the sitar, Indian music.

For some softer stuff, check out Boards of Canada and Late Night Alumni.

Just discovered Massive Attack and Portishead (trip hop)

Unkle and Way Out West are also awesome.

That should give you a really great start, considering that everything that these artists put out is incredible, you should have hours of enjoyment.

I am really interested in what else you listen to, I'm always looking for new electronic music that I haven't heard yet.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah, I have Fatboy Slim, Massive Attack, Portishead, and Unkle, from that list, but I'll check that other stuff out.

Some of the artists I listen to: Adam Freeland, Chemical Brothers, Future Funk Squad, ILS, Hyper (or DJ Hyper), Logistics, Amon Tobin, LCD Soundsystem (only a few, most is crap), Four Tet, Propellerheads, Cyantific, High Contrast, Aphex Twin, CLS & Wax, Front 242, Grooverider, Astral Projection, Nu:Tone, Underworld, Zinc, etc..

It's really hard to find quality stuff in these genres so shout at me if you find something really good.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thalo said:
So far no one has selected country...
In Texas you listen to Country in your pick-up, not in your GTI. And while we're talking music: Come on, guys, listen to what you want but when you are traveling through the population, keep in mind that we don't ALL want to listen to whatever you think is cool and we don't want to listen to your license plate rattle.

·
Registered
556 Posts
jgo said:
Thalo said:
So far no one has selected country...
In Texas you listen to Country in your pick-up, not in your GTI. And while we're talking music: Come on, guys, listen to what you want but when you are traveling through the population, keep in mind that we don't ALL want to listen to whatever you think is cool and we don't want to listen to your license plate rattle.
This is not your target audience. I believe you're looking for the Honda/Cadillac crowd.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GranTurismoInjection said:
Some of the artists I listen to: Adam Freeland, Chemical Brothers, Future Funk Squad, ILS, Hyper (or DJ Hyper), Logistics, Amon Tobin, LCD Soundsystem (only a few, most is crap), Four Tet, Propellerheads, Cyantific, High Contrast, Aphex Twin, CLS & Wax, Front 242, Grooverider, Astral Projection, Nu:Tone, Underworld, Zinc, etc..
Chemical Brothers rock, Amon Tobin is pretty awesome, although some of it is just noise, Aphex Twin is good, and Underworld is good.

Just scrolling through my iTunes, here's some more stuff I didn't mention:
Above and Beyond
Of course Armin van Buuren
Art of Trance (download Mongoose and Turkish Bizarre)
Daft Punk
DJ Tiesto
Juno Reactor
Prodigy
Royksopp

Definitely check out the other artists that I mentioned first though, especially Govinda and DJ Shadow.

Thanks for the suggestions also.

·
Registered
556 Posts
10bv01 said:
GranTurismoInjection said:
Chemical Brothers rock, Amon Tobin is pretty awesome, although some of it is just noise, Aphex Twin is good, and Underworld is good.

Just scrolling through my iTunes, here's some more stuff I didn't mention:
Above and Beyond
Of course Armin van Buuren
Art of Trance (download Mongoose and Turkish Bizarre)
Daft Punk
DJ Tiesto
Juno Reactor
Prodigy
Royksopp

Definitely check out the other artists that I mentioned first though, especially Govinda and DJ Shadow.

Thanks for the suggestions also.
Haha, I have these ones also 8)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Here's what's in my cd player right now:

The knife - weird electronic stuff
Tool - Aenema is a fantastic song, even though I grew up in Cali
Bitter:Sweet - I love this band, and they've recently got a lot of attention, coupl'a commercials. I *think* it's trip-hop (I can't keep up these days)
Simon & Garfunkel
VNV nation - great electronic / goth / ebm stuff.
Ladytron - more good electronic stuff

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just downloaded Bitter:Sweet "The Mating Game", awesome find!

A friend also just told me about Kid Loco. Good albums are "A Grand Love Story", "Prelude to a Grand Love Story", and "The Graffiti Artist."

I've been listening to the The Graffiti Artist for the past hour, it's amazing how music can just engulf you like this.

If anybody else if reading in on this, this music is not electronic music in the typical sense that you think of it. It is nothing like "Sandstorm" or those other popular techno songs. This stuff is much more chill, easy to get in to, and it puts you in a good mood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
me i listen to trance... i just went to dc on sat. and seen armin van buuren and i am going back in june to see ferry corsten... i also like markus schulz, gabriel and dresden, filo and peri, elevation, super8 and tab, and kyau and albert... Megashira is probably gonna be the hottest track of the year by far...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
07gtiguy said:
me i listen to trance... i just went to dc on sat. and seen armin van buuren and i am going back in june to see ferry corsten... i also like markus schulz, gabriel and dresden, filo and peri, elevation, super8 and tab, and kyau and albert... Megashira is probably gonna be the hottest track of the year by far...
All great artists. This was the music I used to listen to all the time, but I've started listening to more mellow stuff recently.

To be perfectly honest, I am surprised that it isn't just me and granturismoinjection that are interested in this genre. I guess it's more popular than I thought.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I guess I might as well post what I have in my CD player now...

CD1= some soft stuff since my parents dont like my music and I drove to San Antonio with them (2.5 hour drive)
CD2= MP3 CD with some pop/punk stuff: A Classic Crime, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, Muse, Saosin, The Sleeping, Taking Back Sunday, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
CD3= MP3 CD with some post hardcore/hardcore/screamo: 30 Seconds to Mars, A Static Lullaby, Bleed the Dream, Boys Night Out, Dead Poetic, Dear Whoever, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Emanuel, Emery, Escape the Fate, Letter Kills, Mozart Season, and UnderOath
CD4= Wolfmother

The other 2 slots are empty.

·
Registered
300 Posts
10bv01 said:
...A friend also just told me about Kid Loco. Good albums are "A Grand Love Story", "Prelude to a Grand Love Story", and "The Graffiti Artist."...
Thanks for the tip! Just checked out the samples online. Gonna go pick up A Grand Love Story tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts