My Fast GTi banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, VW wants $94 to reset my ECU simply because my APR exhaust threw the ECL, which i think is ridiculous...

I'm going to disconnect my battery for 5 minutes to do the reboot at home however this locks my radio. I have the code to unlock the radio however the guy at VW told me i only have 3 tries to get it right, and to make sure i read my owners manual before doing this so i don't mess up. NO where in my owners manual is any mention of how to unlock my radio.

Is it not in the manual? or am i just blind?

I went through the whole thing page for page :'(

Sorry for the all the post about something so minor, I'm just running into some bumps along the way.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Seiky said:
Well, VW wants $94 to reset my ECU simply because my APR exhaust threw the ECL, which i think is ridiculous...

I'm going to disconnect my battery for 5 minutes to do the reboot at home however this locks my radio. I have the code to unlock the radio however the guy at VW told me i only have 3 tries to get it right, and to make sure i read my owners manual before doing this so i don't mess up. NO where in my owners manual is any mention of how to unlock my radio.

Sorry for the all the post about something so minor, I'm just running into some bumps along the way.
Before you do that- have you tried finding someone local to you with VAG-Com to clear the CEL?

I do recall seeing in the manual (about radio coding) and I tried googling for ya w/o any luck :(

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
just tell them you dont have a chip. it will cost them thousands of dollars to prove that you do. they will simply reflash yer whole ECU then and then all you will have to do is get the APR chip re-installed... or you can do it the easy way and go where you got it installed and have them run vag-com test on it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Seiky said:

This process should not mess up your radio, it will only screw up if you try to put that radio in a different VW, or visa versa.
I'll PM you the instructions in a few.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
NVGTI said:
Seiky said:

This process should not mess up your radio, it will only screw up if you try to put that radio in a different VW, or visa versa.
I'll PM you the instructions in a few.
Sir- Could you please post up the instructions if you find them? O0

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oh I found them my man, I just need a minute to get them where I need them so I can plant them. How 'bout I send them via PM, it's about three pages.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
NVGTI said:
Oh I found them my man, I just need a minute to get them where I need them so I can plant them. How 'bout I send them via PM, it's about three pages.
Cliff notes: (Thx NVGTI!)

• When an existing radio - navigation unit is removed (power supply disconnected) and reinstalled in the same vehicle, it is not necessary to input the anti-theft security code.
Electronic anti-theft system, function

·
Registered
530 Posts
Your welcome!

Here's the whole story:

Volkswagen > GTI, Rabbit > 2006-2007
Communication
91 - Radio - Navigation System
Electronic anti-theft system

• Radio - Navigation System is equipped with an electronic Comfort anti-theft system which operates in conjunction with radio unit identification data stored in the instrument cluster.

• When an existing radio - navigation unit is removed (power supply disconnected) and reinstalled in the same vehicle, it is not necessary to input the anti-theft security code.
Electronic anti-theft system, function

• After first activation of electronic anti-theft system, a numeric code is stored in both the radio unit and instrument cluster. When the radio power supply is restored ( e.g. after removing and installing radio or battery), a data exchange takes place between the radio and instrument cluster.

• The data exchange compares the numeric code of the radio unit to the numeric code stored in the instrument cluster. If numeric code is identical, the instrument cluster recognizes that the radio "belongs to the vehicle" and is ready for operation.

• Should a radio be replaced, the anti-theft code must be entered.

• Deactivating electronic anti-theft system, .

• Next, when the ignition key is inserted into the ignition switch ( "S-contact" activated), the data exchange between the replacement radio and instrument cluster take place automatically.

• The data exchange lasts about 5 seconds. During this time a VAS 5051/5052 must not be connected or remain connected.

• After successful data exchange, the replacement radio unit is ready for operation without renewed input of anti-theft code (should power supply subsequently be disconnected and reconnected).

• The electronic anti-theft system is activated and will lock the radio as soon as:

• radio unit is installed in a different vehicle

• instrument cluster is replaced

• A radio which has been locked by the electronic anti-theft system will show "SAFE" and "1000" on display when switched on.

• To cancel lock, deactivate electronic anti-theft warning system, .
Electronic anti-theft system, deactivating

• Reactivating a locked radio navigation system is only possible by entering correct code number for electronic anti-theft system.

• Note:

• Code number for electronic anti-theft system is listed along with radio serial number on radio card, operating instructions .

• For security reasons, radio card should not be stored in the vehicle. Obtain the code number from the customer, if necessary.

• If a radio navigation system is replaced, code number from replacement unit must be used.

• Inform the customer that the code number has changed.

• Obtain radio code.

• Switch on radio navigation system.

• The word "SAFE" and the number row "0000" appear in the display.

• Enter the code number listed on the radio card, do this by selecting and confirming characters on the selection screen for letters and numbers in succession.

• Note:

• With the entry of the first character, the number row "0000" is overwritten.

• Confirm code by pressing the right rotary press button.

• When the anti-theft code has been entered, confirm with Taste located next to the word "OK" on the display.

• The unit is enabled and ready for operation.

• Note:

• If the anti-theft code has been entered incorrectly, it can be corrected immediately in two subsequent attempts. If anti-theft code is entered incorrectly three times, then the radio navigation system is locked for an hour. Radio navigation system can then be switched on and insert ignition key in ignition lock. After one hour, then the procedure for deactivating the electronic anti-theft system can be repeated. Remember: Always three attempts to input code, after that the radio navigation system is locked for one hour.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much NV.
Here's what happens. I disconnected my battery, left it off for 10min so the capacitor could disharge, then i reconnected it. WHen i turned on the ignition, all the warning lights came on, so i was slightly concerned. Then i started the car and they all disapered (including the CEL WOOT!) excpet my ESP light was on, and power steering light. I droove the car a little bit and both these turned off as well. I saved myself 94 bucks, woo.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ANOTHER happy ending at MYFASTGTI.COM (insert Andy Griffith's music).

There are lots of knowledgeable people on these boards who help those in need. I have seen it time and time again. You just need to start off your thread with the right tone - as Seiky did. O0

·
Registered
530 Posts
Seiky said:
Thank you very much NV.
Here's what happens. I disconnected my battery, left it off for 10min so the capacitor could disharge, then i reconnected it. WHen i turned on the ignition, all the warning lights came on, so i was slightly concerned. Then i started the car and they all disapered (including the CEL WOOT!) excpet my ESP light was on, and power steering light. I droove the car a little bit and both these turned off as well. I saved myself 94 bucks, woo.
You are very welcome, glad it all turned out for the best! [gti] [solved]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts