My Fast GTi banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added about .5 gallons of xylene to about 3/4 of a tank of gas tonight with a friend who did the same to his SRT-4. BIG difference in 2nd and pulling out of 3rd into 4th. It's a cheap way to get a whole crapload of power.

My GTI:
APR Chip
Neuspeed Intake
Neuspeed Pulley
3" Pipes

Tuloene is also a good additive but is lower on octane. Xylene is about 117octane while Tuloene is about 114. You can find both at any major hardware or paint store. They're paint thinning agents...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
yer gonna fuck yer shit up running that high octane. didnt the people who installed the APR chip on yer car its made to run on 93 octane only?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to work with xylene as a solvent in an organic lab. It vaporizes really quickly, so it would make sense to mix it with gasoline to up the spark power. I think that there might be a possibility for ruining the engine with xylene getting into other parts of the engine besides the combustion chamber. If it mixes with the oil it might thin it out, increase the burn off of oil during combustion, or detinate outside of the combustion chamber.

Even with the possibility of killing the engine, it would be pretty much like filling up with nitro-methane. It would be pretty good for a track day. Although I would doubt that the people running the track day would like finding out that you were using xylene in your gas. Also, I doubt that the guys at the dealership would be inclined to give you a new engine if they determined that you had been running on xylene spiked fuel.

I'm going to go the Myth Busters way and say, "Plausable, yet unpracticle." Too many unknowns for me to say it is a good idea for regular use in the GTI. If your friend has been running on it solid since he got his SRT-4 for more than a couple of years then I stand corrected on the possible dangers of using xylene to spike your gas.

·
Sir Drives em all
294 Posts
I don't like the sounds of this...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Xylene is a very dangerous chemical, but then again so is most of what is found in gasoline. In fact, xylene occurs naturally in gasoline (in low concentrations). I can't say much for the effect of this chemical on certain parts of your engine; mainly seals, gaskets, bushings, and stuff of that nature. Xylene may have a tendency to deteriorate these compounds when in higher concentrations than what is naturally found in gas.

I would recommend doing a good amount of research before adding something like that to your fuel. If you don't have a solid background in chemistry, particularly organic chemistry, you should ask someone who does. Anyway, if it was a good idea don't you think it would be more well known?

Check out this link to learn a little more about xylene.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've also heard many of these solvent additives, not approved for use in cars, can actually eat away at your fuel lines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to take it period if I had the time to read it all... so far, no probs. Same with the SRT. I told the guys who did my chip and they were amazed at our results but no warnings. I am having an intercooler added this weekend.

This car is freakin' addicted to speed and I am forced to feed it's addiction!!!! DAMNIT!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess I stand corrected if that website is true to the information that it presented. NoParties4Me have you seen any of the gas mileage increases that nitroburn's page talks about? Seems kind of iffy to me, but I might have to check it out myself. I'm a big friend to getting better gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
22350 said:
When I finally go toe to toe with Dragon I'll have to remember to spike my juice with a little Acetone/Xylene cocktail!!
Holy dead thread resurrection! :eek:

Some of the gas stations around my area carry this stuff that is so flamable, they have to keep it in the cooler. It adds about 50-70HP, but only lasts for a short time.

I usually put it in before I fill up O0

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Gotta let the freshies know there is more to MFGTI than just what pops up on the unread posts tab. O0

I tried the NOS, too sweet.

I'm a Rockstar addict. Nothing is as clean as the good ole' RedBull though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's funny how all you kids that couldn't stay awake in your
high school chemistry classes are "expert" enough to start mixing shit
in the most expensive thing you've ever owned. ::)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts