Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to see what the pro's and con's are between the two model years if there are any. I personally have my eye on a brand new 2006 (you can read about it in my other post) but I want to know if i should be stressing about it since it is the last one on the lot or should I just go with a 2007 (i'm stressing because I am not in a position to buy right at this second.. maybe in about a month and I'm sure by then it will be gone) so ya.. lol I've heard the 2006 is better than the 2007.

·
Registered
857 Posts
How can you say the 2006 is better than the 2007 without giving any reasons? I was thinking the same thing as Dragon.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
gtichick said:
Dragon said:
gtichick said:
I've heard the 2006 is better than the 2007.
??? OK
what is this supposed to mean buddy?
You're a firey one arent you? I suppose you would have to be to own a GTI!!

Seriously...how about some reason's why its better?

It has the "C" valve, (still crap)
It has the most current ECU software, (undecided)
It has the the new injectors, (so do most 06's)

No headlamp washers, bummer

Feel free to expound...I don't have time to list everything

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
07 has LC >:D

Most of all of the bugs from the 06 have been worked out in the 07.

Who was telling you the 06 is better? A salesman who wants to get rid of the last 06 ???

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10bv01 said:
How can you say the 2006 is better than the 2007 without giving any reasons? I was thinking the same thing as Dragon.
when did i ever make a claim that the 2006 was better than the 2007? you should pay attention when you read posts because i said that i HEARD the 06 was better. now whether or not it is better or worse is what i am trying to find out with this topic...

i dont mean to come off as firey but its a simple question.... (one in which 22350 has answered somewhat good ;) lol anyways lets try and keep this civil and get some good info in here)

·
Registered
635 Posts
a car is like comp software every new release will have updated features and items as well as smoothing out any bugs...the 08 should be even better than the 07...should be...so the car should be even better every year until they change the whole format or formula and ruin it...its kind of a waiting game

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
gtichick said:
when did i ever make a claim that the 2006 was better than the 2007? you should pay attention when you read posts because i said that i HEARD the 06 was better.
So I asked you where you HEARD it? :)

BTW: Don't call me buddy and I won't call you honey... kthxbye :-*

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dragon said:
gtichick said:
when did i ever make a claim that the 2006 was better than the 2007? you should pay attention when you read posts because i said that i HEARD the 06 was better.

lol w/e BUDDY i dont mind if you call me honey ;) .. newayz i think i heard it in another post how someone said the 06 was better and that they had ruined it in the 07 by not offering headlamp washers and how it was not made in wolfsburg anymore and so on.. thats why i wanted to start a topic just to see the differences between the two model years.

·
Registered
530 Posts
This may not help much Honey, ::) but here's my 2 cents worth. The GTI's that are not in your driveway/garage/under your ass, those are the worst ones. Which ever one you bring home and make your own, and do whatever you want to personalize it and make it yours, is the best one! ;D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
gtichick said:
Dragon said:
gtichick said:

lol w/e BUDDY i dont mind if you call me honey ;) .. newayz i think i heard it in another post how someone said the 06 was better and that they had ruined it in the 07 by not offering headlamp washers and how it was not made in wolfsburg anymore and so on.. thats why i wanted to start a topic just to see the differences between the two model years.
So, yes *honey* :p, the 07 has headlight washers, but I could go without them. AFAIK all GTI's are made in Wolfsburg (I think the Jetta/GLI is hecho en Mexico).

If you can find a pre-loved 06 with low miles in good shape, you could save yourself a chunk of dough that you could put towards your new car. If the dealer still has a new 06- if they make you a screaming deal on it- go for it.

The 07 has some added features (as pointed out above). Now the folks in Europe had the MkV GTI a year before it made it to North America in 05. As with any new car design, there are gonna be bugs and as the car gets newer, they tend to works those bugs out, be it software or hardware.

Is the 06 better? IMHO, no it's not, but it is not that far off. I tried to get my brother to sell his 06 to me before I bought my 07. There is also a thread on the 08: http://myfastgti.com/vwgti/index.php/topic,1830.0.html

edit: If you buy a used GTI make sure they include your Fast.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I feel the love in here tonight!!

GTIchick I understand the intent of your post and it is a good and unique question now that it is clarified. However, DRAGON is a unique and an extremely good dude too, please remember that.

There..... I have said my peice and now everybody can think about the differences between the 06 and 07.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dragon said:
gtichick said:
Dragon said:
gtichick said:

So, yes *honey* :p, the 07 has headlight washers, but I could go without them. AFAIK all GTI's are made in Wolfsburg (I think the Jetta/GLI is hecho en Mexico).

If you can find a pre-loved 06 with low miles in good shape, you could save yourself a chunk of dough that you could put towards your new car. If the dealer still has a new 06- if they make you a screaming deal on it- go for it.

The 07 has some added features (as pointed out above). Now the folks in Europe had the MkV GTI a year before it made it to North America in 05. As with any new car design, there are gonna be bugs and as the car gets newer, they tend to works those bugs out, be it software or hardware.

Is the 06 better? IMHO, no it's not, but it is not that far off. I tried to get my brother to sell his 06 to me before I bought my 07. There is also a thread on the 08: http://myfastgti.com/vwgti/index.php/topic,1830.0.html

edit: If you buy a used GTI make sure they include your Fast.
now dragon, was that so hard? ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also, 22350.. thank you. i thought it was a good question also. and just because the 2007 is more current than the 2006 does not by any means make it a better vehicle. there are alot of things that can happen to a car (i.e. money saving changes) that can make it worse. that is what i am really looking for and honestly i have not seen what i can call a 'good' answer as to what the major differences are between the two model years.. :'( O0 >:D :'( :-* :'( :-* :-\ :-X :-[

·
Registered
58 Posts
It seems to me that with everything considered, there's just about too little difference to say one's better than the other.

The few, minor changes made between the 2006 and the 2007 have been rolled out slowly, which explains the headlamp washers. Some 2007s have them, but they stopped them at some point - not as the years changed.

If there prices are all the same, I'd find the newest one available.
If you can bargain some money out of the dealer for an older one, I definitely consider that worth it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I went 07 because it always has something different each model year. Like launch control. Not a big deal,but I love my Fahrenheit. They did not have a special one in 06 that I'm aware of. No I do not have headlight washers because it's the Fahrenheit. Who cares. You can definatley get a good deal on 07 if money's tight. Talk to the fleet manager.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.