Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
To piggy-back on this question, let me ask if there would be a different effect on the DSG vs the 6-spd manual?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: With all of the mods that increase hp and torque, I am starting to wonder...

dean said:
To piggy-back on this question, let me ask if there would be a different effect on the DSG vs the 6-spd manual?
ah-hah, wish i thought to add that. Good looking out!

·
Registered
80 Posts
This sounds a little like im being a prick but o well here goes, WHO CARES!
its not like there is any real upgrade for your trans to make it stronger. So there is no sense in worrying about it.. Further more the difference between auto and manual is obviously the clutch and what ever form the DSG uses wether it sychro-meshes them or they use some sort of fancy german clutchpack, the hardest damage is going to be on the manual for the simple fact of the one time you miss a gear while slamming it down and you chip a tooth the auto shouldnt have any damage to it. I have seen MIL's for 1.8T autos with Tiptronic after someone bolts up a ko5 or t7 or some hybrid turbo and it will set a code that says somthing about to much torque but no real damage ever occured...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sure, it's not like there's anything to do about it (if you want the power and torque, you're obviously going to get it), but I think the question is valid from a curiosity standpoint. You always hear about how add-ons affect engine wear and tear, but at least I haven't read up too much on transmissions to know what effect, if any, there is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: With all of the mods that increase hp and torque, I am starting to wonder...

dean said:
Sure, it's not like there's anything to do about it (if you want the power and torque, you're obviously going to get it), but I think the question is valid from a curiosity standpoint. You always hear about how add-ons affect engine wear and tear, but at least I haven't read up too much on transmissions to know what effect, if any, there is.
yeah, it's definitely more out of curiosity than anything

·
Registered
300 Posts
It seems like at some point the friction on the plates designed for a smaller engine just wouldn't be able to hold with 400 hp coming through, or probably a shaft somewhere would torque in half before you got that far.

The Audi TT has 250hp going into a DSG, and I assume it's the same one? Interestingly, though, the next stronger - S4, etc... - models do not - could be a market preference, or could be it doesn't work?

It is an interesting curiosity.

·
Registered
398 Posts
rodknock said:
This sounds a little like im being a prick but o well here goes, WHO CARES!
its not like there is any real upgrade for your trans to make it stronger. So there is no sense in worrying about it..
For what it's worth there are some companies on the other side of the pond that have DSG upgrades.

http://translate.google.com/transla...hl=en&u=http://www.hgp-turbo.de/vw/r32_5.html

This is explained more in detail on the vortex if someone is so inclined.

Edit: That link shows a .:R model that is putting out 405HP and 530Nm Torque.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I hope this helps kinda of answer your question. I was lookin at a few things and came across this.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/volkswagen_r_gti.asp

Not only does it look sweet from what I read it shows what the 2.0FSI is capable of with little coercing but how resilient the stock internals seem to be

It all starts with VolkswagenÂ's 2.0-liter FSI turbocharged four-cylinder powerplant, an award-winner for its unique combination of direct injection and turbocharging. APR also replaced the turbocharger with a larger Garrett ball-bearing unit with twice the flow capacity and pumped up the boost to 21 pounds per square inch. All of the pressure-side plumbing was strengthened with silicon hose. A large-diameter cast-aluminum, black powder-coated intake pipe feeds the big turbo the cool air it needs from the larger, front-mounted intercooler, delivering twice the stock air flow. An Inconel exhaust manifold and an APR stainless steel exhaust system ensure efficient flow-through. ItÂ's a tidy, factory-like transformation, and the result is a whopping 375 horsepower, on 93 octane pump gas. If 100-octane race fuel is used, output rises to some 400 horsepower.
I dont know if its been posted what the engine is capable before (although I looked and couldn't find it this is the closest thing I saw) but if it hasnt here you all go.

·
Registered
125 Posts
deviltailedfast said:
The Audi TT has 250hp going into a DSG, and I assume it's the same one? Interestingly, though, the next stronger - S4, etc... - models do not - could be a market preference, or could be it doesn't work?
The Veyron has DSG too, I assume its the same one? ;D

Just kidding, I would think that there must be several different models of the DSG tranny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts