Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick up some wheels to use with my Nokian Hakkapeliitta's i use in the winter to get around Eastern Washington. I don't like the idea of constantly taking the summer and winter sets on and off the same wheels (I'm pretty sure its terrible for the tire). I don't want to buy anything fancy but my Les Schwab dealer said they don't sell the black steel rims in an 18... Any advice on what to use or possibly where to find something to solve my issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought 16 in steel wheels to use in the winter. Tire rack.com had them for 59 a wheel I think. The 16s are the smallest you can go but it would be better for a winter tire imo.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
I run the exact same oem VW steelie as the full sized spare in the truck, from tirerack. 16" with snowies. Kind of silly to run 18" snow tires considering the cost difference to 16", probably close to $50-100 per tire depending on the make.

If you get snowies on steel wheels, you can change them yourself and save money in the long run.

·
Registered
385 Posts
16" Winter Wheels on GTi

I bought 16 in steel wheels to use in the winter. Tire rack.com had them for 59 a wheel I think. The 16s are the smallest you can go but it would be better for a winter tire imo.
I run the exact same oem VW steelie as the full sized spare in the truck, from tirerack. 16" with snowies. Kind of silly to run 18" snow tires considering the cost difference to 16", probably close to $50-100 per tire depending on the make.
If you get snowies on steel wheels, you can change them yourself and save money in the long run.
x3
As paul08gti notes, the smaller tread contact patch and taller sidewall of a 16"
will perform better than a 17" or 18" in slippery conditions (rain or snow).
And as paul08gti also points out, the savings on the tires are significant too,
in my case enough to pay for the 16" wheels and the mounting!
I did not go steelies though, 16s are in such oversupply
on VWvortex 5x112 classifieds,
the 16s are a buyers market (at least in the summer months),

I was able to pick up a mint condition set of oe 16" Ditto alloys for $30 a wheel!
(Of course, my 2006 does not have TPMS, so I did not have to deal with that cost.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're interested, I have a set of 4 Huff wheels from my 2006 MKV that I would sell. They don't look perfect, but they're straight and would make good winter wheels. PM me if you're interested, I'd be happy to email some photos and talk price.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
yea run 16" steelies with snow tires

with all the pot holes in the winter there is a bigger chance of you busting a low pro 18" tire

which like it was already said cost way more then a 16" tire

you will like the extra rubber of the 16" in the winter

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Wrangler?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish i would've had this information last year when i bought my snow tires, in an 18"... Damn. Anyways does anybody know of a brand that sells 18" wheels thatll fit on my MKV for somewhat cheap? Or did i make that a little hard to do since i bought in 18"?

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
buy some used huffs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts