Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea yea...i know its a lil early to be thinkin bout the white stuff. But i would rather start to budget for a new set of winters and rims then...slide my car into a ditch or something.

i am looking at the bridgestone blizaks, from what i hear everyone raves about them. I am wondering though whether i need full winter tires or if i could jus get away w/ havin a set of ultrahigh/high performance all season tires. oh and im from Virginia

Input?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I believe 99% of the winter storms in VA you should be able to get by with a good all season tire, and since you'll have a summer set of tires as well, I'd lean toward a more aggressive all season tire. I don't have any specific sugestions though.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ite cool thanksdude

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I got by with all-seasons during one of the snowiest winters on record in the New England area (Jan/Feb/Mar 2003). It's only here in Canada that you really need winter tires.

If you are shopping around for some, consider Nokians too. I've driven on both Blizzaks and Hakkas and they're both great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I just got my GTI with 17" Summer Performance.

I'm looking at buying a set of rims and winter tires for late fall through spring here in CT (where there's legit 6-10 snowy days, usually nothing too bad, and some icy nights)

Looking for suggestions for Rims mostly, as there's plenty of suggestions for tires. Also, since it will be cheaper, can/should I go less than 17". I know it will look crappy but if I were to go with 16" rims or lower for winter (keeping in mind they're going to be constantly dirty) how will that affect my ride?

Ughh...in summary, will smaller rims make a big difference, and what kind of rims should I look at for winter abuse?

·
Registered
35 Posts
well i've already answered my own question that I shouldn't/can't go lower than 16"

So suggestions for wheel/rim winter packages, i hear tirerack is okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 18 inch rims with Dunlop Sport all season tires. I just got my GTI a couple weeks ago and I am going to school in Vermont for one last year. Do you recommend getting a whole new set of winter tires and rims, or can I get by for one last VT winter season? If necessary, then any brand or store/website recommendations would be appreciated. Oh yeah, I normally live in the Boston area.

Thanks-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts