Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just put 17" FLIK rims and winter tires on my car. The rims are pretty cheap ($450 shipped from edge racing) and I love how they look. They are really light too at only 18lbs per rim. Things are just starting to get cold enought ot snow on LI. Hopefully I can test them out soon. I had a hard time finding rims with the correct offset. These have a 45mm offset.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No. Tires were another $550. They are continental snow tech. (I think that is what they are called. I'm too lazy to go outside and check)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put the Dunlop M3s on the stock "Huffs" and they are working out pretty well for me. We had some snow and ice recently and they did great. They were a bit expensive though, around $650 to ship and then another $100 to install. Very worth it though as I slid off the road in the mountains of West Virginia during a blizzard with the summer tires on. No damage though, luckily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bought them on tirerack. Looks like 163 a tire. I just replaced them with the stock size. 225 40 18. Runs good. The guy that installed them said it was a bitch though, b/c of the harder sidewall on the winter tires with such a low profile. Now Ive just gotta suck it up and buy some summer rims to put the stock Conti's on. Ive got my heart set on some Volk wheels at 650 a pop....so it might be a little while!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went to Tirerack.com and purchased the 16in steel wheels and Dunlop Sport M3's. I live north of Pittsburgh and we actually got a good bit of snow this year. I also live in the country with about a 1/4 mile long driveway. Needless to say I needed some serious grip this year, and I got it with the M3s which are rated to 130mph.

The road noise on these tires was a little much in dry conditions, however the grip outwayed the noise. Currently I have ran about 5000 miles on these tires and they show very little signs of wear. Also they aren't to bad in dry conditions. With traction control on they are really no problem for all types of driving. However if you are looking for some racing forget it, turn the traction control off and you will start the smoke clowd. Handling isn't bad either.

All in all these are good winter tires enough grip in dry conditions to still have fun, and amazing grip in bad conditions to... still have fun!! haha I even went out in about 6in and did donuts and drift slides in the parking lot of the local mall one night. (I think i was the only 2wheel drive vehicle out that night, oh and in the passenger seat was my buddy with an 06 CIVIC SI which got stuck!!!! no traction control on that bad boy hahaha)

The best part about this all is I payed $550 for the whole deal mounted and balanced and installed them myself. I opted out of putting the Monitoring system in them. I don't mind the little yellow light for a couple of months in the winter. It only blinks for a couple seconds then stays solid.

I strongly recommend the tirerack.com wheel and tire combo.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts