Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm looking at dropping some dough on a set of winter tires and rims at Tirerack.

My question is, do I need to buy the TPMS sensors with them? If I chose not to buy the TPMS sensors, is something really annoying on my dash going to happen?

·
Registered
530 Posts
No, and yes. No you don't have to buy them, and yes, something annoying will be on your MFD if you don't. I think they can be disabled either at the dealer (possitive this can happen) or with VAG-COM (I think this is possible).

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
NVGTI said:
No, and yes. No you don't have to buy them, and yes, something annoying will be on your MFD if you don't. I think they can be disabled either at the dealer (possitive this can happen) or with VAG-COM (I think this is possible).
Most dealers will not modify the TPMS, for fear of liability.

I just got new tires and wheels today. They shipped the tires with new sensors that were about a $100 cheaper than getting them through VW.

So if you choose not to buy the sensors- find a buddy with Vag-com to turn off the TPMS module.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dragon said:
I just got new tires and wheels today.
There he goes, braggin' again. geeesh. 8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I guess part 2 is: Let's say I buy the tires + wheels with the sensors...

Do I need to go to VW to get them put on (because of the sensors), or can I go to any place? I know tirerack has a list of places they approve or whatever.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
alanrumpf said:

Do I need to go to VW to get them put on (because of the sensors), or can I go to any place? I know tirerack has a list of places they approve or whatever.
They can be put on before the tire is mounted to the wheel- Tirerack can do it for you.

The TPMS needs no further programming with new sensors.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Dragon said:
alanrumpf said:

They can be put on before the tire is mounted to the wheel- Tirerack can do it for you.

I have the 17" wheels factory and I'm thinking about getting 18" or 19" in the spring. I know that I want to spend the extra $$$ and get the TPMS installed in my new tires.

2 Questions:
1 Does sizing up the wheels change the specs of the pressure, thus setting off the TPMS warning light in the car?
2 On Tire Rack they were like $250 (cant remember if that was a piece or not). Is there anywhere to buy them cheaper?

What happened to the old fashion idea of modding a car it was so simple to do things like...swap out bigger rims, change the radio head unit, change speakers etc...why the F#@k does VW need to make things such a challange?!?!?!?!?!?! :-\ :mad: [help]

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
prpltrck said:
Dragon said:
alanrumpf said:

I have the 17" wheels factory and I'm thinking about getting 18" or 19" in the spring. I know that I want to spend the extra $$$ and get the TPMS installed in my new tires.

2 Questions:
1 Does sizing up the wheels change the specs of the pressure, thus setting off the TPMS warning light in the car?
2 On Tire Rack they were like $250 (cant remember if that was a piece or not). Is there anywhere to buy them cheaper?

What happened to the old fashion idea of modding a car it was so simple to do things like...swap out bigger rims, change the radio head unit, change speakers etc...why the F#@k does VW need to make things such a challange?!?!?!?!?!?! :-\ :mad: [help]
I forget the actual prices, but the TPMS sensors were cheaper through tirerack than they were from VW by about $25 a wheel.
The TPMS sensors are "dumbed down" compared to what is on the Toureg and changing wheels size shouldn't matter.

The old fashoned idea of modding a car? [fish] The smarter the car, the harder it is to mod. Be happy than we can "chip" our MkVs and software like VAGCom exists. A few cars in the same class; you can't even touch the ECU.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i have winters, w/ senors, ur mfd doesnt read low pressure but u do get the low pressure light on the dash. its kinda annoying gonna get it vagcom'd soon.

i saw this

wonder if its allows me to turn tpms off and on w/o a vagcom?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts