Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has their own method to madness for prepping your GTI if your drive it over the winter. So post up what you've done to get into 'winter mode'.

Also, post up pics of your ride in the snow, and tips and tricks for slippery situations or anything GTI+Winter.

Please leave alternate winter rides/beaters out of this thread, this is for GTIs 365 days of the year[gti].

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some background on my winter driving area. I live in a mountainous area that gets snow between october and May. once the snow hits the ground it stays until at least April. Average temp is 23-32F. Roads are typically pretty well kept, but usually afternoon snow storms bugger up the roads pretty good. I also drive 375mi to Vancouver for Xmas, which takes me over 5 passes on a pretty crappy, mostly single lane highway.

My 2012 prep included:

- Slapped on my winter steelies with Dunlop Wintersport 3D's, painted lime green this year.
- Masked some areas that get pounded with rocks including 75% of the hood, A pillars, mirrors, and car bra contact areas.
- Votex roof rack (used in summer too) with Thul fairing and ski racks.
- Replaced my top grille with my old one with a licence plate mount
- Put in the lower grille and zapped-strapped some finer mesh since my fmic got absolutely pounded with rocks last year.
- Replaced open fogs with oem closed fog grille.
- Put on car bra
- Various winter preparedness stuff loaded into the trunk
- 'winter-mode decal on rear window to match my wheels!

Summer Mode:

Winter Mode:

·
Registered
88 Posts
First winter with the car so...I've got nothing haha. It normally gets fairly cold here and normally a good amount of snow, but the past few winters we had practically nothing, last year with only a freak snow in early October. Hopefully this winter will go well.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
When i was in germany the only thing i would do is out on witer tires. Thats was onky because we were required by german and military laws. I would not chang anything as far as the stance or body.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Raised the coilovers 15 turns and its almost winter. That counts right?

Sent from that Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Mk3 got raised and my old beetle wheels

Mk4 got the fat5 wheels. It's on bags so I raise it as need with the touch of a button

But the mk4 does not get driven in the snow unless it is the only car I have available

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
winter mode is the same as summer mode ... it rarely snows enough here to worry about it ..... and if it does thats why i have vacation time and sick time

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
and when i get the 2.slow Jet running again

·
Super Moderator
10,066 Posts
I rock oem wheels for winter wheels and my fancy shyt for good weather

1 - 15 of 15 Posts