Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need new windshield wipers. Right now I have either the Bosch Icon's or the Bosch Evolution's. I'm not sure which because the P.O. installed them. All I know is that it's bracket-less and says "Bosch" on it. ;D

I've heard good things about both Bosch and Rain-X; and I've heard massive **** talked about both. lol.

Anybody have experience with a reliable brand?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
So I need new windshield wipers. Right now I have either the Bosch Icon's or the Bosch Evolution's. I'm not sure which because the P.O. installed them. All I know is that it's bracket-less and says "Bosch" on it. ;D

I've heard good things about both Bosch and Rain-X; and I've heard massive **** talked about both. lol.

Anybody have experience with a reliable brand?
I used rain x this time instead of oem. They froze up and failed miserably in a snow storm.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping you mean only the OEM froze and failed lol.

How's the rain-x wipers treating you? how long have you had them? do you use the rain-x solution?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I am on the Rain-X and they have been great to me. However, no snow storms in Texas. lol

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I'm hoping you mean only the OEM froze and failed lol.

How's the rain-x wipers treating you? how long have you had them? do you use the rain-x solution?
The rain x froze up multiple times, but to be fair this was not your average snowstorm. They failed miserably and i had 0 vis. Almost crashed multiple times, had to pull over on the highway every 10 minutes to clear them. And no I haven't used the solution.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One of the big things with wipers is when you put them on. It's best if you install them during the summer months because of the temp. They need the chance to mold and form to your windshield. in the colder weather it doesn't give them the opportunity to do that.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
One of the big things with wipers is when you put them on. It's best if you install them during the summer months because of the temp. They need the chance to mold and form to your windshield. in the colder weather it doesn't give them the opportunity to do that.
True that. I use the Bosch Icons. They're pretty good and rarely leave streaks. I also use invisable glass with rain x every couple weeks. Sh!t rulez. I've gotten my blades to last over a year with good winshield care(cleaning often). I also only ever use news paper to clean it.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Mine were installed in the Florida summer, and had adequate time to mold.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I knew it!
Hey man you totally set it up.
What about the rear blade on MkIV??? Delete you think? I mean it's a pointless tiny blade that barely works on the window becasue of the massive draft the hatch creates. Too much nasty dust collects and coats the window after just a couple days.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Hey man you totally set it up.
What about the rear blade on MkIV??? Delete you think? I mean it's a pointless tiny blade that barely works on the window becasue of the massive draft the hatch creates. Too much nasty dust collects and coats the window after just a couple days.
Delete it

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Delete it
{agree} I decided to force myself to not use my windshield wiper for as long as possible, and it ain't bad at all. I just hit my 4th week and I'm not missing a thing. Although I did accidentally turn the wiper on once when I was trying to turn on my windshield wipers lol.

on another note, there's no snow in the bay area, so I'm not too afraid of my wipers "freezing up on me" because tbh, I don't even know what that means. lol.

Anybody have time-dates on how long their Rain-X blades lasted them? and which specific Rain-X blades? I like Sun's 1-Year Icons, but I wanna know if I can do better.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I happen use my rear blade quite often..when you have crappy weather like we do here it's nice to have one

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice to See some TN boys up in here! HA..

Last weekend we had tons of rain around here and while on the interstate or cruising around 55+ i didn't even have to use my wipers. I'm guessing someone has put rain x on my windshield before, but i've never seen it work that well. kind of freaked me out a bit.

·
Registered
386 Posts
somebody snapped my rear wiper off, the arm broke, so i just went ahead with the delete, i never regret it, looks better and i forget i ever had one. Just clean that ish with some rainx and you all good

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Last weekend we had tons of rain around here and while on the interstate or cruising around 55+ i didn't even have to use my wipers. I'm guessing someone has put rain x on my windshield before, but i've never seen it work that well. kind of freaked me out a bit.
Yea, same here. If I'm cruising at highway speeds I don't usually need to use the wipers. The rain just runs off. I think, for me, it has something to do with the car wash I use. They probably have a wax-like rinse that coats the windows too.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love how I created a thread to ask about new windshield wipers, and in return I'm getting super motivated to delete my rear windshield wiper. lmao.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts