Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windshield and headlight washers haven't been working. I think they are frozen. Is anyone else having this problem? I drained all my fluid and put the "winter" fluid in before it started getting cold. I am using Rain-X fluid. Also, when it gets really cold (like below zero) the washer refill light comes on. I guess this is an indication that my fluid is frozen but it really shouldn't be; it's rated down to -20F. Isn't this car supposed to have heated washer nozzles?

·
Registered
81 Posts
In Vancouver we had -10C and i had no problems. Except that i goes through washer fluid more than gasoline hehe.
Apparently there are washers on the breaks i think thats what uses most of the fluid.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Washers on the breaks? I don't think they use fluid though. I think it is just the brake pads periodically brushing up against the rotor just enough to keep them clean. Correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
i dunno... i was noticing my rims keep getting pretty dirty and have a lot of water marks like water trails, and it hasn't rained since i washed it last. Also I don't think i've driven through any puddles...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm wondering if maybe there is a buildup of sand and salt in the actuator that pops the washers out. I'll have to wash the car and see if they work.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Ecoterragaia said:
Do you have any male dogs in the area? They like to pee on tires . . . :)
hahaha.. no. my rims were clean at the beginning of the trip and by the end they had all these water marks.. I'm thinking that's the brake washers at work. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So here's an update to this old issue just in case anyone cares...

I took the car to the dealership finally. It turned out to be a fuse that had blown. I checked the fuses but I guess I missed it. Anyway, I guess the headlight washers and heated windshield washer nozzles are on one relay.

As for the brake washers, I mentioned that my braking sucks in wet weather and the service manager said he would check my "brake cleaning" system. When I picked up the car he told me that my car does not have this feature. I have an '06 GTI. He said this feature is available on the Passat but he wasn't sure if it is on the '07 GTI. Does anyone know about this?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
MicMoor77 said:
As for the brake washers, I mentioned that my braking sucks in wet weather and the service manager said he would check my "brake cleaning" system. When I picked up the car he told me that my car does not have this feature. I have an '06 GTI. He said this feature is available on the Passat but he wasn't sure if it is on the '07 GTI. Does anyone know about this?
I'll look at the service manual when I get home... (I'd like to know too)

·
Registered
749 Posts
I too was assuming that the brake cleaning system was simply mechanical. Keep in mind, I'm only speaking from assumption here (and hopefully a little logic), but I don't think I want a system that's designed to spray liquid on my brake rotors under any circumstance while I'm driving.

Comments?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BlueFrogPosse said:
I too was assuming that the brake cleaning system was simply mechanical. Keep in mind, I'm only speaking from assumption here (and hopefully a little logic), but I don't think I want a system that's designed to spray liquid on my brake rotors under any circumstance while I'm driving.

Comments?
I hope you didn't think I was saying that there is a "washing" system for your brake disks. The way the system actually works is the brake pads squeeze together to close the gap between the pad and the disc. They come very close to the disc but don't actually contact it. This, in effect, "brushes" liquid and debris away from the disc I know this isn't a very techinical explanation, but hopefully you'll get the idea. In any case, I was told that this system is not included on the '06 GTI.

·
Registered
749 Posts
MicMoor77 said:
I hope you didn't think I was saying that there is a "washing" system for your brake disks...
Don't worry; I wasn't replying to your post. Someone else had mentioned that the brake wash system might be using up their wash fluid and then there was some more discussion about liquid on the discs earlier in the thread.

Good info though. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.