My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an appointment to get my windows tinted at Ziebart this coming Saturday. I've never gotten an aftermarket tint job done before, but I just don't think this car looks right without it. Anything I should be aware of/request? What percentage tint? The Ziebart guy wants to do 35% on doors and hatch, and 20% on the back seat windows. Sound good?

thanks,
daniel

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Depends on the color of your car. I think the darker the better. I have %20 and it doesn't look that dark but i love it. If you have a dark color car go darker. But the darker you go the harder it is to see at night time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My GTI is candy white. I don't want trouble seeing at night, but I don't really like the way it looks untinted either. Ziebart says they have to do 35% on the back and the sides, by law. Should I ask for something else or should I go somewhere else if I want 20%/darker?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you can have as dark as you want all around except the driver and passenger side windows. I would go 20% all around it looks nice and you can see at night time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, here is what I believe the law to be in Indiana:

Indiana

* Visor..............as1

* Front doors..........30%

* Rear doors.............30%

* Back window.........30%

I'm in a fairly politcal, very public and somewhat conservative position within my state, so I don't need any trouble from the police. Am I understanding correctly that 20% would be darker tint than 30%?

thanks,
daniel

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the % means how much light passes through. So 30% light will pass through the window but 20% is darker and less light will pass through. So 0% would be no light going through the window.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got ya! Thanks. So, does anyone have pics of a GTI with 30%??? I'm curious to see it if looks the way I'm hoping it does.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it'll be done by this time tomorrow. 30% on the doors and rear and 20% on the back seat windows. I'll try to post some pics.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...well, here she is. I'd actually like it just a bit darker, but this looks pretty good. I love the slightly reflective nature of this endurance film. It's 32% all the way around with the exception of the front. They tell me the bubbles (tiny ones) could take up to 30 days to completely disappear? That makes me a little nervous.

http://home.comcast.net/~randomphotos/GTI/GTI_9252006.jpg

·
Registered
346 Posts
dgm said:
...well, here she is. I'd actually like it just a bit darker, but this looks pretty good. I love the slightly reflective nature of this endurance film. It's 32% all the way around with the exception of the front. They tell me the bubbles (tiny ones) could take up to 30 days to completely disappear? That makes me a little nervous.

http://home.comcast.net/~randomphotos/GTI/GTI_9252006.jpg
Beautiful. Wish I had gone as dark as that on mine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
dgm said:
I've got an appointment to get my windows tinted at Ziebart this coming Saturday. I've never gotten an aftermarket tint job done before, but I just don't think this car looks right without it. Anything I should be aware of/request? What percentage tint? The Ziebart guy wants to do 35% on doors and hatch, and 20% on the back seat windows. Sound good?

thanks,
daniel
Make sure to post pics when you have it done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly I'd have to go with whatever is legal.

On my acura I had 30% on the fronts and 6" strip across the windshield and 20% on the rest. It looked great agaisnt the nighthawk black paint but coupled with the exhaust I got so much excessive police attention, it wasn't worth it.

Tint tickets aren't cheap and you will keep paying them over and over.

My tint guy is doing mine next week. I'll post pics later.

I'm most likely going with 50-75% on the fronts and 20-50% on the rears. I can't be certain yet. I need to see a basic layout of the tints on the car first.

I want to keep it close to legal on the fronts, where I won't be bothered every other day and then I'll go with whatever tint looks good on the rear with the % on the front. 20% rear and 70% front looks akward.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine (above) is 32% all around. Thats 2% better than the darkest legal tint for me. A little darker would be nicer, but its also the slightly reflective tint, which looks really cool in the right light. ...also still legal.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts