Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having installed a Hot Wheels wide body kit from Extreme Dimentions on my 2007 GTI (pictures to follow) which brings the fenders out 2 1/2 inches further from body. I was considering getting spacers and keeping my old wheels but I would need about 70 mm. Or I can buy new wheels. What is offset and how can I figure out what wheels will bring the tires out to the edge of the fender? Any suggestions? Help please. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Get your calculator out.

Wheel offset is measured in millimeters - 1" = 25.4mm
What is your current wheel offset? If you don't know it, pull a wheel off. It's stamped on the back.
Convert the space you're trying to fill into millimeters and add it to the offset of your current wheels. This is the total offset you're trying to achieve.

Done!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My current offset is +35 and I want to bring the wheels out 2 !/4 to 2 1/2 inches. So I figure I need to get 50 to 70 mm spacers or get new wheels with a +90 offset. The problem that I am contemplating is that the current wheels are 18 x 7.5 inches. I was thinking of getting some 18 x 9s with a + 60 mm offset. My fear is that I won't be able to make the turn and the tire may rub the well. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
What suspension are you using? Stock height or lowered (if so, how much)? You could run a 225 tire and have a little stretch, or even a 215 with more stretch and probably be safe depending on how low you are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Height and springs are stock. just now starting to play and modify. Tires on it right now are 225. I was hoping to get some 255 on there if I could. Do you think that would work? Or should I get some 19 x 10 wheels with a low profile tire. Maybe an 255/35/19, think that would work? Thanks for your help. I need to take some pics and upload.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
At stock height, you're not going to have any rubbing issues unless you're hitting the strut. You're just going to have to test fit to figure that out.

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Why The **** would u wanna put thin stretches tires on a wider car, u have all that room go with some fattys

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, got it done and will upload pics as soon as I hit send on this message. Ended up getting some wheel adapters from Fred goeske in California. 70 mm in front and 90 mm in back. The back wheels are 18" and tires are 225/40/18 and it sometimes hits whenever there is a bump on the road. As much as I would like to lower the car an inch don't think I can afford it. On the other hand, if springs keep it stiff then it is possible. It gets worse when there a 3 or more in car. Front had to drop to 17" inches as I tried several tires and it kept hitting. Even a 235/40/17 rubbed so I had to go to 215/40/17. I think it looks great, you be the judge. Any suggestions on springs? I really can't afford the car bouncing.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
where are the pictures i need to see this

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
run 9.5" front and 11" rear

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
for real, why not run a super low offset wider wheel and make use of that wide body.
I agree, I would take full advantage of having that setup

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pictures are in my album under my profile, haven't mastered the art of attaching them yet.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
pictures are in my album under my profile, haven't mastered the art of attaching them yet.
grab a photobucket account (free) and upload them there, then you can click the IMG: code for that picture and copy it, then paste it in your post here and it will show the pics

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am looking to stiffen up the ride. After installing wide body kit and 90 mm wheel spacers, I have about and inch clearance from tire to body. Problem is, if I sit anyone in back then the tire rubs nasty. I figure if I can just stiffen the ride I would do well, what do you think? Suggestions for replacing just springs or full units?

View attachment 5056 View attachment 5055 View attachment 5054

1 - 16 of 16 Posts