My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my GTI in park.. I would like to have it sit right there, not roll 6 inches then come to a stop. I am glad that I do not live near or park near the edge of any cliff.

Does this happen to everyone with a DSG? Why does it continue to roll after it has been 'parked'? :-\

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thats what the Parking Break is for :)

seriously tho, in a normal automatic transmission, there is a pin (i believe its called a Dog) in the transmission that engages once you put it in park. the pin locks the gears in place. There are only so many notches for the pin to go into, so it wont actually stop the car until the transmission turns to a point where the pin can go into the notch.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission5.htm

gives a good explination of it.

IM sure the DSG has something similar. Just use the parking break if it annoys you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is a non-issue as you are supposed to use the parking brake EVERY time you park.

If VW drilled a few more notches, people might think it was ok to only use the parking brake. Setting the parking brake -- regardless of terrain -- before shifting into park reduces the load on the parking pawl.

You trust the weight of your car being held by a little notch? (I'm guessing it isn't exactly as illustrated, but you get the point)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats a really good point, and illustration. i will have to get in the habit of using the e-brake more often. i think i will pull the e-brake after i put it in park, but before i release the brake pedal.

thanks for that post. O0

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought the same exact thing when I first got my MKV. I never used the e-brake with my old 93 Alty cuz putting it into P would hold it tight into place. A couple days into driving my GTI and I started using the e-brake before engaging it into Park and now its just a natural reflex, I cant not have the e-brake engaged when parked. Its safer I guess...

·
Registered
103 Posts
because u have a DSG trany ... and nothing wrong with using e-break .. i have been using mine since day one i got my GTI ... it is just how DSG works ... it is like a clutch trany in a way

if u know ur car rolls back u know everything is working right .. i be worried if u had DSG and it wasn't rolling back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.