Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying it off a lot, or having them make a brand new one In Germany and having it shipped over here?

·
Registered
857 Posts
If you can find one with all the options you want, then what wouldn't be good about buying it off the lot? Of course, someone may have taken it for a test drive, and it probably was driven very hard on the test drive, but it's better than waiting several months and having the odometer read 0.

Unless you're super picky about mileage, there really isn't a downside to buying it from the lot.

I hope I'm right and I'm not missing something very obvious, it just seemed like a simple answer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10bv01 said:
If you can find one with all the options you want, then what wouldn't be good about buying it off the lot? Of course, someone may have taken it for a test drive, and it probably was driven very hard on the test drive, but it's better than waiting several months and having the odometer read 0.

Unless you're super picky about mileage, there really isn't a downside to buying it from the lot.

I hope I'm right and I'm not missing something very obvious, it just seemed like a simple answer.
Well it has snowed a lot here also.

·
Registered
857 Posts
DuJour said:
Worried about rust?

If its snowy up there, you have a chance of getting rust no matter how you buy the car.

Is that what you were thinking?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10bv01 said:
DuJour said:
Worried about rust?

If its snowy up there, you have a chance of getting rust no matter how you buy the car.

Is that what you were thinking?
Kinda, and also just people running it hard on the test drive.

·
Registered
857 Posts
You can't go wrong either way, you'll end up with a GTI one way or another, and three or four hard test drives don't ruin the car. Snow=rust, and there isn't much you can do to prevent it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10bv01 said:
You can't go wrong either way, you'll end up with a GTI one way or another, and three or four hard test drives don't ruin the car. Snow=rust, and there isn't much you can do to prevent it.
How long would it take to ship over if I ordered it?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I think he's referreing to the 12 yr anti-corrosion warranty that comes with the car.

As far as it being driven hard? It's called break in... The #1 prioirty in break in is NOT running at the same RPM for an extended period of time. I asked the dealer about changing the oil at 500 miles- and they really insisted it was ok to wait until 5K.

If everything looks good- no scatches - etc. just get it if it has what you want!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dragon said:
The US dealer told me 3 months... we found what I wanted ;D
I'm looking for a white 4 door DSG. I have a 720 credit rating. I'm going 72 months. I wonder what kind of rating I will get?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
DuJour said:
Dragon said:
The US dealer told me 3 months... we found what I wanted ;D
I'm looking for a white 4 door DSG. I have a 720 credit rating. I'm going 72 months. I wonder what kind of rating I will get?
No idea on the credit stuff... I bought mine outright (I had money saved up for a Ducati 1098s- when I was done saving, I found out there was a waiting list- my response to the dealer was "OH well... see ya".)

Talk to your local dealer- tell them what you want and see what they can do for you to locate what YOU want ;D I told them what I wanted- I found mine.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Dragon said:
(I had money saved up for a Ducati 1098s- when I was done saving, I found out there was a waiting list- my response to the dealer was "OH well... see ya".)
Funny story, when I went to the dealership today for new tires, I sat on, and started up a Ducati 1098 S. A girl that works there has a super wealthy boyfriend, he bought one, and she drove it to work. That thing is a BEAST! Sounds better than 99.99% of all cars on the road. The boyfriend is taking off everything that isn't carbon fiber, and is going to make it ALL carbon fiber. It already has a new custom exhaust on it.

I would LOVE to have one of those, no way I would be able to control all that power though, I'm only 5'4" and 125lbs. I could hardly fit on the thing.

She said she had gone 190 on the way to work. Yes, 190mph.

I really don't know much at all about bikes, but this one is supposedly the new fastest production bike in existence.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
10bv01 said:
Dragon said:
(I had money saved up for a Ducati 1098s- when I was done saving, I found out there was a waiting list- my response to the dealer was "OH well... see ya".)
Funny story, when I went to the dealership today for new tires, I sat on, and started up a Ducati 1098 S. A girl that works there has a super wealthy boyfriend, he bought one, and she drove it to work. That thing is a BEAST! Sounds better than 99.99% of all cars on the road. The boyfriend is taking off everything that isn't carbon fiber, and is going to make it ALL carbon fiber. It already has a new custom exhaust on it.

I would LOVE to have one of those, no way I would be able to control all that power though, I'm only 5'4" and 125lbs. I could hardly fit on the thing.

She said she had gone 190 on the way to work. Yes, 190mph.

I really don't know much at all about bikes, but this one is supposedly the new fastest production bike in existence.
I dunno about 190 ::)

The current fastest top speed production bike is the Kawasaki ZX-14- but most bikes imported into the US are governed at 186. The Suzuki Hyabusa is quicker getting up to speed; but the Kawi is faster.

The 1098s is a v-twin and I really can't say what it's top end is, but it is usually less than an inline-4.

Here I am with my GSX-R1000K5:

No I don't go 190 to work... I like having a license ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts