Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a minute and think about it.. 6 years have passed.

I'll start.

I was on the Crucible in Parris Island SC. 1 week from becoming a Marine O0

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Bcruzin said:
Take a minute and think about it.. 6 years have passed.

I'll start.

I was on the Crucible in Parris Island SC. 1 week from becoming a Marine O0
I've been awake and couldn't sleep. I can remember the phone call that said we are under attack and to turn on CNN. I remember the day very well. The eerienes of no airplanes in the sky except for a few F15's flying patrols.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I was actually sitting on the couch watching CNN when they came on and showed that the first plane had hit. Then I watched the second plane hit live. :'(
ff

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was in NYC. I was woken up by my ex boyfriend to look out the window where we had a view of the towers and I witnessed the second plane hit the tower. I watched it all day out of my window and the TV behind me. I watched the towers fall one by one. We only had one channel that day and a couple of days thereafter. We couldn't hear the radio either. I remeber watching people falling or jumping out of the windows of the tower. I cried for about three weeks. I also remember for weeks there on, seemed like every car in NY had a picture of a missing loved one. Was very sad there for about two months. :'( I will never forget what i witnessed or the way NY changed after that. I miss home.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
I was on vacation in San Diego and our friend from Singapore called my cellpone to wake us up what was happening. As I turned on the TV, the second plane hit. It still gives me the chills when I think about it.

That afternoon we went to the San Diego Zoo and it was eerily quiet - no planes, hardly any cars on the road when we drove there and there were only a few people in the zoo. You could see on peoples faces that they came there (just like me) to get some in peace with the world.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Driving from Wichita KS to Watonga OK. Say the airliners in the sky turn around and thought how strange. Stopped at a rest stop and everyone was watching it on TV. I turned on the radio in the truck (was listening to cd's before) and listened to the news the rest of my trip. I work for a large hotel chain that had a hotel between the towers that was crushed when the first tower fell. We lost two hotel managers in the collapse, all hotel guests were evacuated and safe. I call my office to vonlunteer but there was nothing for us to do the hotel was buried under 220 stories of building.
I also remember were I was for the 1995 bombing in OKC, OK. I was at work in a meeting and my sister called the hotel manager and made him get me out of the meeting to tell me what happened and all our family survived.

PS. Happy Birthday USAF Master Seargant Frank Remmington. I was going to buy his lunch 6 years ago today.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I was living in Toledo, Ohio at the time...i was awake on my computer when a friend instant messaged me to turn on CNN... i did and i remember not turning it off for 3 days. I remember watching the 2nd plane hit live and for the first time in my life realizing that we arent as invincible as i thought the day before.

However....

Since then though, i have my doubts about much of the politics surrounding 911, if you ever watch Fahrenheit 911 ( no im not a Michael Moore fanatic ) and you seperate some of the fact and look at it from that viewpoint, you certainly have to question some of the events leading up to 911 ( like the relationship with Bush and the bin laden group ) and the fact the president sat in that classroom for quite awhile before getting up and doing anything.

At any rate, this country was devastated emotionally by its loss, we have recovered well but it was a horrible incident i hope myself or my children never see repeated. Didnt mean to go off on a tangent, just remembering the day and days that followed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am not an asshole...... BUT

I wish i had a serious story like that but i don't.... i was in my junior year of college and i decided to skip classes that day and go to my girls house. Her folks were working and we had the house to ourselves... I got a phone call from my mom but i OBVIOUSLY ignored it... it wasn't until the 20th phone call that i picked up... here we are butt naked staring at the TV and then the 2nd plane hit.... I have never lost the "mood" as fast as i did that day...

·
Registered
749 Posts
I was stationed in South Dakota. I had worked the previous weekend and taken that day as comp time. I was completely oblivious to what was happening until about noon (Mountain Time.) I had gone downtown to open a bank account and there were plenty indications that something was happening, but I brushed them all off. I recalled later that the bank lobby was quite empty and the few people who were there were glued to the televisions. I didn't even really notice at the time, but groups of people were standing in the waiting areas watching the TV's. The lady at the customer service desk commented that it was a wierd day to be opening a bank account. I just thought "Tuesday? I guess people don't do much banking on Tuesdays?". The clerk in the accounts department asked me if the base was letting traffic in and out yet. We'd had a security exercise the week prior so I assumed that's what she was referring to. What a weird day.

When I got home I took a call from my girlfriend (now wife) who was going to school in Nebraska. She asked me what I thought about what was going on. "What's going on?", and she told me to turn on the TV. Once I managed to put together everything I was seeing on the news, I decided to check in at work. I lived off base and they were, in fact, not letting people on or off, so I stayed home. By the time I really understood the scope of the day's events, I had put the entire morning and all the little odd things together and now, though it all still seems so surreal, at least I understand why people were acting so weird that day.

So now whenever someone asks me "What were you doing when...?", I tell them I was opening a bank account. And when they ask me "What did you think about...?, I tell them I thought it was all such a weird day, but I really had no idea.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had been in Europe for 2 weeks and our flight back was rerouted through Newark. This was a week before. We were held up for an hour in the airport and I looked out the window of the terminal and saw the twin towers. I thought about how cool it would be to be able to go take a tour of down town NY and go in the towers. I had always wanted to, but we didnÂ’t have much time so an excursion to the city was not possible. As we left the airport, I kept thinking about how I wanted to go to NYC and do the tourist thing.

Next week I was sitting in my Senior Seminar class in HS when a runner from our specialty center came bursting into the room telling us to turn on the TV. I donÂ’t think we went to any classes that way since every class we had was all in the one wing and the general population never bothered us. We all sat in that classroom, hugged and cried, and consoled people who had family working in the towers who were not accounted for.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'll never forget it. I flew back from Europe the day before, right over NYC. I was at work sitting in a temporary office room. I had recently moved down the street from another office, with another colleague. I was working away, when I got an e-mail with the subject "PENTAGON ALSO ATTACKED" Huh? then I looked closer at my inbox and saw an earlier e-mail outlining what happened, then jumped onto CNN.com immediately. I asked my colleague if he knew about this because I don't keep up with the news sometimes and figured this was something I just didn't know about yet. Uh, no, everyone was in the dark just the same as I was. It was a weird state of mind, like when I calmly replied to someone that we didn't need to go home, Baltimore is not a target. Like, weirdly unemotional and uncomprehending. I was glued to CNN for the next several weeks. Talking with people who worked in DC in the coming weeks, I was blown away by all the security they were having to go through, including the anthrax stuff and the mail, and hearing how fighter planes were flying overhead on patrol all the time.... :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Was sitting at home, phoned a friend (also a Firefighter) and he said are you watching Sky news - I switched on my tv and watched it live, never hung up, we just sat in silence watching it.

CT

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was on 51st and 5th inside my building and still heard the plane hit. We closed up shop right after the second plane hit. Then I couldn't get out of Manhattan to go home so I went to the roof with some co workers and just watched. :'(

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I was in the 7th grade.... man that was a long time ago. I was running late for school and my mom was making food in the kitchen. She told me something about a plane hitting some towers (she's not up to date with things so she had no idea what the Twin Towers were). I started watching in the kitchen (Good morning America I believe). It was 8:02 in the morning here in Texas... I saw the second plane hit live.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Freshmen in highschool. 2nd week of highschool and first day for health. heard of the attack and spent the whole day watching it live on tv from class to class. saw 2nd plane hit live. Could see the smoke cloud from my house 40 miles south of NY

·
5,926 Posts
well i was at home i was not in the military yet but i had set my alarm to 0900 in the morning and when i heard the alarm about 35 min later i woke up to the news about what had happened and i turned on the tv and watched until about 1455 than went to work they would not let me off work that day. than after that day i was just not the same person, i just felt really empty for about 6 months. did not know what was wrong with me just felt like i was just in this world to do something and was not doing anything. (finical problems did not help with that)
so in april i joined the army and may i shipped out. here i am 6 years later and i am in iraq felling like i am doing something in this world and i DO NOT regret what i did in april. if i could go back i would do it all over again and join the army october 1 month later unstead of 7 months. but that was what i was doing, sleeping. something that i wish i would never do again during thoes days.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts