Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have had my car now for a little bit,its got 53,000 kms on it, here are the problems so far 2 speakers quit working, radio has a mind of its own(cant make it do it when im at dealer),had to have the sway bar bushings replaced, still have wierd suspenion noise all the time, lights bounce up and down like there always trying to level out, and when i checked the oil today it was bone dry, VW are reliable yeah right......i hope things get better soon or this car is going the crusher....maybe...

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
damn guys...I have over 10k and no problems yet..knock on wood. I am just waiting for the electronics to start screwin up in typical vw fashion.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
well i have had my car now for a little bit,its got 53,000 kms on it, here are the problems so far 2 speakers quit working, radio has a mind of its own(cant make it do it when im at dealer),had to have the sway bar bushings replaced, still have wierd suspenion noise all the time, lights bounce up and down like there always trying to level out, and when i checked the oil today it was bone dry, VW are reliable yeah right......i hope things get better soon or this car is going the crusher....maybe...
Well, there is a service bulletin (TSB) on the radio- the fix is to update the ECU software and or replace the head unit. There is also a TSB on the headlights.

The weird suspension noise: Is it a mystery thump at low speeds? I had the suspension torn down twice at my shop chasing a "suspension" sound. Saturday, they lifted the car, took off the back section of the exhaust. They dropped the heat shield and inspected/tightened everything. After they put it back together- the noise is gone.

The oil was bone dry? How often do you check your oil and how many turbo vehicles have you owned?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I second that Dragon. Turbo motors are oil thirsty.

·
Banned
890 Posts
This is my fourth new VW. Never had any significant problems. My 04 Chevy Avalanche was a nightmare. My 06 Rav4 dropped parts off at the car wash...Any brand will have some problems, but jeez, maybe yours was assembled on a monday morning!
Keep after the dealership, write to VW, be the squeaky wheel!
Good luck![drive]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will have to check that tsb on the headlights, no its not a thump its more like a squeak, everytime you go over a bump, you here it a lot more when there is people in the back. that was the first time i checked the oil after i got an oil change, and i only had the oil change like a month ago.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
time really doesn't matter all that much....worry more about how much/how hard you're driving the car. All that oil also flows through the turbo's plumbing to keep it moving, so keep in mind that every time you crush the pedal you're potentially burning up a little oil. Also, a good rule is to check your oil at least weekly. It never hurts.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
crap. i should look into the oil levels as well. my first turbo vehicle, so i dont really know what to look for. this helps. thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but i dont drive the car hard, especially now in the winter , its kind of hard when there is snow and ice everywhere, but even then i just dont drive this car hard, maybe i will punch it once in awhile but not much, so i dont see how it should be using oil at all

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
but i dont drive the car hard, especially now in the winter , its kind of hard when there is snow and ice everywhere, but even then i just dont drive this car hard, maybe i will punch it once in awhile but not much, so i dont see how it should be using oil at all
Stop and go traffic and severe weather stress a motor just as much. Think along the line of engine hours vs driving style.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i guess but it was down 2 liters, in one month, and on the averge day i probally drive for about 2.5 hours all together..

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
That's a lot of driving...plus like Dragon said, it's a turbo vehicle...They have a tendency to eat up oil. That's all you need to know about this. Also, make sure you're not leaking oil anywhere, a small leak can cause a lot of loss if you don't get it taken car of. Either way, just regularly monitor the amount of oil your motor has, and you'll be FINE...nuff' said.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so your telling me that a new car, and everybody else is car on this forum uses 2 liters in a month of oil, thats not right, and maybe its not like 2.5 hours a day the more i think about it's just 2 and from work which is 15 mins and then going to the store and stuff , so i guess more like an 1 hour or so in car all togeither maybe an 1.5 hours

·
Registered
687 Posts
Oil levels are very important!
My friend was leaking oil out of his turboed talon, drove it home, now it will never start again!!
Monitor those levels, and I would suggest carrying around some extra oil, just in case.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
so your telling me that a new car, and everybody else is car on this forum uses 2 liters in a month of oil, thats not right, and maybe its not like 2.5 hours a day the more i think about it's just 2 and from work which is 15 mins and then going to the store and stuff , so i guess more like an 1 hour or so in car all togeither maybe an 1.5 hours
Well I'm not burning 2L a month (maybe 1L), have you had your dealer or a mechanic check it? Have you checked the PCV / is it clogged?

·
Banned
890 Posts
Just had first oil change in my 07 Farenheit, 5,500 miles. Driven hard, down 0.5 quart.Had full synthetic put in. Mechanic told me to check oil every other fillup.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Torque Arm Insert from ECS Tuning FTMFW.. killed that sound effectively[flame] Best 40 dollars I've put into my GTI, aside from the countless tanks of Premium

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.