Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just signed up to this forum, but i have been viewing it for a while now.

I have been wanting a GTI for a long time and have recently decided on the mkiv. I have more than enough money to pull the trigger on one today if I wanted to.

Here is my dilemma. I can't drive stick (I know it's pathetic). My main concern with buying one soon is that winter is coming right around the corner, (I live in southern NJ) and I want to feel comfortable driving a standard before the snow falls.

I don't know what winter is like here, or when it usually starts as I just moved from VT yesterday. I am having a hard time deciding whether or not to buy one soon, or once spring rolls around.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you don't have a car, then get one now. It's not hard to learn to drive standard trans, but i wouldn't want to learn in the winter time.

IMO wait until spring if you have a reliable car now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Learning to drive stick is really not that big of deal. Just do it.

I spent the first 20 years of my life in New Jersey. The winters don't really hit hard until after christmas, so buy one soon and drive it through the fall. I think you will hardly notice you are driving standard after 2 weeks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I learned by test driving used cars with someone there who knew how to drive one drive it off the lot...even had a salesman give lessons at one of them.
That sounds like a good idea! Only every time i've test driven a car the darn salesman always has to come along.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, I have a 96 Civic, have had it for 3 years now. I'm just getting bored with it. I feel that I have worked hard enough to be able to drive something that I actually want to drive. And I've always wanted to learn stick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do it! I taught myself how to drive stick in a parking lot and felt comfortable after 15 minutes of experimenting. Once you get a feel for the clutch and where it engages, you'll do fine. Like mortgeek said, you won't even have to think about it after the first couple of weeks.

Make sure you post pictures when you get it!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I agree, buy now if you like the car. Manual is great fun, you'll learn it in a few days and feel comfortable forever after. You'll want to take it easy in the snow when it hits, or you'll be spinning those wheels all over, but don't worry bout it if you have a couple of months to get used to it.
Did your house in VT get washed away?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, buy now if you like the car. Manual is great fun, you'll learn it in a few days and feel comfortable forever after. You'll want to take it easy in the snow when it hits, or you'll be spinning those wheels all over, but don't worry bout it if you have a couple of months to get used to it.
Did your house in VT get washed away?
No lol. I'm in the Air Force and got stationed at McGuire AFB. I was home on leave before that. Where my family is in northern VT, all we got was rain and some wind. I was honestly expecting more but I guess thats a good thing.

The main thing i'm worrying about now is the fact that the bank I will be getting a loan from is based in VT, and I will be registering and insuring it there also, but buying the car here. Who knows what kind of hoops I will have to jump through to get all this accomplished. Only one way to find out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.