Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I knew when I bought the 2009 MkV GTI that as much as I loved it right out of the gate, there would come a day when I wanted to tweak it a little to keep things, you know, new and shiny.

That day has come. About a year into my ownership, I'm eyeballing an aftermarket exhaust, the APR ECU flash and some new wheels +rubber. Am here in this forum on the latter point, looking for advice and opinions.

Advice: I currently have two sets of wheels & tires for my black 4-door GTI. The stock 17s with the Continentals, and a set of 16" Mono "winter" rims with some pretty awesome Dunlop 3Ds for winter driving. Since I now have dedicated winter tires (I'm in the greater Denver area), I'd like to dump the other all-seasons and get a more aggressive, stickier summer tread. Am even thinking of a few track days. Question is, when I replace the *very recognizable* stock 17s, should I unload them on Craig's List or actually hold onto them to help the resale value of the car?

Opinions: I'm still debating on 17s vs. 18s for wheel size... I know 18s look sharper, but it's quite a bit of extra cash at each corner when you add up the rubber and the rim. (Cost is a consideration, thus my not looking at *really* high end wheels here.) Regardless, these are the wheels I'm looking at. I've searched the web pretty extensively and haven't seen many shots of these on GTIs, especially 4-door versions, so I worry a little about how they'll look when installed...

1. TSW's Sepang 5
http://www.tswalloywheels.com/alloy_wheels_sepang_5.php

Very clean and classy, in my opinion. Perhaps too classy for me -- I generally don't like lots of spokes on sporty cars, but something about these grabs me.

2. TSW's Vortex (in Hyper Silver, no chrome for me)
http://www.tswalloywheels.com/alloy_wheels_vortex.php

Great-looking wheel, I think, but a little close to the five-spoke Momo I already own...

3. TSW's Nogaro
http://www.tswalloywheels.com/alloy_wheels_nogaro.php

Purdy darned cool.

4. O.Z.'s Arenalina
http://www.ozracing.com/at-team/wheels/x-line/adrenalina/en

--in the Matte Black / Diamond Cut finish. I'm not normally one for black rims on a black car, but something about these grabs me. The 8-spoke "Lounge" you can link to at the bottom is also kinda cool, but I've had trouble picturing how it will look given the way the spokes are not meshed in with the rim (visually) at the edges.

Anyway -- I've used a number of 'visualization' tools (Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, TSW), but I'm not able to see any of these on a 4-door GTI in black.

Anyone want to try and sway me one way or another? :)

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
this is all on personal preference. you need to get a picture of each and just figure out what you really like and dont. Otherwise this isnt going to be your car... though if its advice on specs let us know.
some are more conservative and will for sure look good, others are more exrteme and with the right stance can be pulled off. depends on how baller you want to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough -- I know the style questions are subjective, certainly. Still interested to hear if people have seen them on GTIs somewhere, or why they do/don't like various looks. For example, you mention that the more extreme look (presume you mean the OZs) can be pulled off with the right stance -- you mean by lowering the car and such? She's fully stock right now, so I guess that's a consideration...

General questions -- are the TSWs (which are being recommended as a brand by a local shop) generally well-made wheels? I know the O.Z. stuff is supposed to be pretty top-shelf, especially for the price, but I don't know as much about TSW.

Last one: am I looking at a weight saving with any of these rims over the stocks?

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
ya. i think lowering a vehicle will help it look better but there is a limit for me.... fortantely for me i havent found that limit.
i think TSWs are a good brand name wheel. my friend just got a set, i cant remeber the name but its similar to a mono block, and he likes them alot. i was looking into them but felt the need to go in a different direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.