My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if the New GTI had any wheel hop problems when launching.... the other car I'm looking into purchasing has horrible wheel hop.

Thanks for anyone who has the info I'm lookin for.... I'd try launching on a test drive, but that might make someone mad.

J

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have not noticed any wheel hop. I may "launch" differently than most though. I try and avoid wheel spin as much as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spin doesn't bother me, spin doesn't brake brake calipers and screw up your whole drive terrain.... but wheel hop is aweful....

Thanks for the reply, and if you're afraid of spin you won't have gotten close to the wheel hop... =)

J

·
Registered
261 Posts
ComputersAre8ad said:
I was curious if the New GTI had any wheel hop problems when launching.... the other car I'm looking into purchasing has horrible wheel hop.

Thanks for anyone who has the info I'm lookin for.... I'd try launching on a test drive, but that might make someone mad.

J
I have gotten wheel hop but only when I take off hard in rainy conditions with the ESP on. I am sure under these conditions any car would wheel hop.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thalo said:
What is wheel hop?
When you break the tires loose, the wheels can actually bounce up and down really fast if you have shitty suspension.

The only time I've seen wheel hop be an actual issue is during truck pulls. I saw a guy put a drive shaft through the bed of his Chevy because he didn't get off the gas quick enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've slammed this poor car and i have yet to experience any wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i never had any intense wheel hop. if you try to corner from a dead stop and punch it they will bounce a little but nothing too serious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mog3618 said:
ComputersAre8ad said:

J
I have gotten wheel hop but only when I take off hard in rainy conditions with the ESP on. I am sure under these conditions any car would wheel hop.
Same here, DSG with stock 17s. If I accelerate hard from a dead stop in wet conditions I experience some wheel hop. Haven't noticed if there's a diff with ESP on/off.

Does anyone know why some experience this and some do not? Am I just being a Larry Leadfoot or could there be a problem with my fast?

·
Registered
39 Posts
i think i get wheel hops ??? THINK haha. when i launch at around 3000-3500 it feels like my wheels are caught on something.. my car is moving but it shakes a lot. but i can still get to 60 in a lil under 7 seconds. ( i just recently learned how to drive stick about a month ago)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I only get wheel hop when i gun it in rainy conditions or up a steep hill. When its dry i get a bit of squeel and then off i go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '06 MKV with the upgraded tire package from the Dealer. And yes I get wheel hop, massive amounts of wheel hop, wheel hop so bad it makes you feel like your teeth are going to fall right out of your head. But it happens with the traction control. You really should be launching that hard anyway. The key to a good launch is to find the sweet spot between the lag and the spin. I'm all for looking cool and burning out, but I almost feel like I am doing to car an injustice when I hop the wheels. You basically are dragging the back end of the car for the first 60 feet.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your car, since anybody with a lead foot can make the wheels hop in these cars. I have never had the "stock" rims and tires on the car even though I have them so I wouldn't be able to tell you either way with that.

Find the sweet spot and the wheel hop disappears.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
556 Posts
In my case, it feels like the wheels are skipping on the ground, and then the traction control light comes on (DSG by the way). I'll try doing what I've been doing with the ESP off, hopefully it won't feel like a horse is kicking me in the ass anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.