Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switched out my stock 18's for some avant garde 19 inch wheels and now it seems my wheel bearings need to be replaced. Could the size difference have anything to do with the bearings?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it didn't make the noise before you swapped rims it could be he rims. Had this problem myself with a set of factory wheels, that had seen a huge pothole. I purchased new rims and tires and what sounded like a bad bearing vanished.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it didn't make the noise before you swapped rims it could be he rims. Had this problem myself with a set of factory wheels, that had seen a huge pothole. I purchased new rims and tires and what sounded like a bad bearing vanished.
Yeah, it didn't make the noise before the new wheels ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, it didn't make the noise before the new wheels ...

Did you have the wheels balanced? Also since you said the wheels are new did they come with a ring for the hub? I've read that some wheels will come with a spacer to make sure the wheel is perfectly centered on hub to prevent wobble

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you have the wheels balanced? Also since you said the wheels are new did they come with a ring for the hub? I've read that some wheels will come with a spacer to make sure the wheel is perfectly centered on hub to prevent wobble
Yeah man, wheels were balanced and I gave the hub rings to the guy before they took the car to the shop to install the wheels ....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also forgot to mention make sure your lug bolts are properly torqued, that's a quick one.
Well, I'm assuming that they torqued them to specs at the shop. That was the main reason I went to a professional

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
90% of the time, wheels aren't torqued to specs at shops. Normally they use a air impact that is set to a general pressure, and if the mechanic was a lazy @55, I've seen many times where I had to tighten my wheels down the second I've got home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts