Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Shell 93 or Sunoco 94. I would rather run out than to put cheap gas (regardless of octane) or Citco gas in my car.

Don't buy Citco!!!!! For those of you that don't know. The owner of Citco (He got the company the old fashined way, he stole it in a government take over) states that his goal is the destruction of America, and Americans. Seriously, I couldn't make this crap up. I am not a conspiacy type, and if you noticed have mentined politics in a post before. [flame] Citco

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Gunny said:
Shell 93 or Sunoco 94. I would rather run out than to put cheap gas (regardless of octane) or Citco gas in my car.

Don't buy Citco!!!!! For those of you that don't know. The owner of Citco (He got the company the old fashined way, he stole it in a government take over) states that his goal is the destruction of America, and Americans. Seriously, I couldn't make this crap up. I am not a conspiacy type, and if you noticed have mentined politics in a post before. [flame] Citco
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/citgo.asp :-\

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see y'all are filling up on premium. I don't see any warnings about 87 octane in the car (I don't have an owner's manual) but a 16-year old at a local shop insists that I need 91. Hmm. My engine's not pinging. I do understand that you might get better mileage with the "good stuff", which could offset the cost. But is it really any better for the engine, long term?

By the way, I always fill up with Top Tier at QuikTrip (several other companies carry it, such as Shell). Ah, here's some info about premium that I found on their website. Agree or disagree? :)

The word premium doesn't have anything to do with the quality of gasoline. It has more to do with the price.

Premium gasoline costs more for two reasons. It costs more to make. And, there's more profit added to premium by refiners and retailers. But, premium gasoline doesn't cost more because it is better.

Premium gasoline has a higher octane rating. Higher octane is only one thing: an index which indicates the gasoline's ability to overcome knocking or pinging in engines. That's all. If your car doesn't knock or ping on lower octane gasoline, paying for higher octane is a waste of your money.

Higher octane does not mean better quality and it will not result in more power, better performance, greater gas mileage or anything else.

Some high performance cars were designed to run on premium gasoline. In that case, the owner's manual will clearly state you should use only premium gasoline in that vehicle. That's what premium was made for.

Why does QuikTrip expose the premium myth? After all, we stand to make more money as long as some people continue to believe the myth.

The economics of doing the right thing are pretty simple. QuikTrip gives you the facts rather than trying to sell you myths. You test the facts and find they are true. You save money. You buy more gasoline from QuikTrip. We overcome any short-term loss by selling more gasoline.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes...seeing as it is a turbo vehicle....91 or better octane fuel is required for proper opperation.

I use Shell V-Power out of loyalty. I used to work for the company that makes the adatives. Ive seen what cheap gas does to a motor...and i will never put that stuff into any car of mine again.

If i can't find a shell..i use BP

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
dpeter51 said:

Is this from the owner's manual? I don't understand why the higher octane is necessary if no pre-detonation is occuring.
I got this from the VW website. If you go to "Our Cars" click on MkV GTI, then go to "Specs and Features" (or something like that) then look in the bottom right hand corner there's a little PDF symbol. It's all the Features and Specifications... that's where I got it from.

·
Registered
530 Posts
dpeter51 said:

Is this from the owner's manual? I don't understand why the higher octane is necessary if no pre-detonation is occuring.
Drive your car with 87, then when empty, fill up with 91 or higher. You'll get it then.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NVGTI said:
dpeter51 said:

Drive your car with 87, then when empty, fill up with 91 or higher. You'll get it then.
i couldn't agree with u more. I always fill up 94 octane, but this new gas pumper at sunoco filled me up regular after i specifically said ultra :mad: . I yelled at him a little bit, but i was stuck with regular. It was the worst week of my life :'( . I had to drive with the A/C on constantly to burn out the gas.

But really, you feel the difference between regular nd super.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
o ya, 87 octane didn't stop me from killing this Scion tC. I was on my way bak from school nd this guy started revving on me. I beat by him by 2 and a half with 87 octane and the A/C on. [[owned] [fish] [fish] [fish]

I love my car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts