Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my GTI for a little over 2 weeks now and I've just thrown my 2nd Check Engine Light. My dealer is a good 40 min drive for me and taking it in there everytime for them to say, "its nothing, there are no codes" and reset my light is ridiculous. My car is stock. Do you all have this problem with your C.Eng. Lights? Should I take it seriously and take it in to the dealer? Is there any way of resetting the light myself? I know with my last truck, there was a certain procedure with the key in the iginition that would reveal any thrown codes in the dash computer. Anything like that on the GTI?

I just find this really annoying. A 2 week old vehicle should not have 2 check engine lights already. ???

thanks...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i never got a chech engine light since i have ownd my car (since march) so i would take it to the dealer. i also have aftermarket parts and still not one check engine light come up.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Finally someone else with the same problem. I have been dealing with this since I bought my GTI back in april. Since then I would estimate its come on 8 times. (12000 miles) For me though, the thing turns itself off by the time i get to the dealer a week later for my appointment. I've heard diverter valve could be triggering it, but the dealer usually tells me the same thing "just a computer glitch" They tell me unless the Check Engine light is blinking at you, its nothing big. Let me know if you get any concrete explanations

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EXACTLY!! My dealer made me feel like an idiot for wanting my 2 DAY OLD gti checked out because the engine light. They tell me, "no codes, its fine." They said the same thing about the flashing of the light. For me, I am wondering if it might be related to the gas cap. I also get the gas cap warning light for no obvious reason, but that goes away when I turn the engine off and restart. The check engine light appears to stay on until cleared by the dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
even if its not important the light shouldnt be on i'd force them to fix and give you a laoner car till they can fix the problem. bring it in for also pull the if i bring this in 3 times and you cant fix it lemon law on them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
In response to your initial question about resetting the check engine light yourself....you can't do it unless you have a vagcom cable. The only thing VW allows the consumer to do is to reset the service reminder.

Seems odd that you would have a light. I have had mine since May (3,000 mi) and I haven't had a problem with it...besides getting the radio re-flashed.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Whiterabbitmk5 said:
even if its not important the light shouldnt be on i'd force them to fix and give you a laoner car till they can fix the problem. bring it in for also pull the if i bring this in 3 times and you cant fix it lemon law on them.
Ohhh i like that right there.. I've got 2 documented services for the Phantom Engine Light. 1 more will be three strikes.. not that i want the damn thing to turn on again.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I've also never had a check engine light... in any car I've ever owned for that matter. Just put a wad of duct tape over it, that should hold.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sorry that I'll be no help, but I haven't had a check engine light either (knock on wood).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most likely the problem your experiencing is emissions related. You probably had the gas cap loose or off with the car on. This will set a soft code that will turn the CEL off once the evap monitor test itself again with the gas cap on tight.

Refuel your car with the ign. off and tighten the gas cap all the way.

The evap system test itself, it will recognize a leak in the system; small-very larger. Leaving the gas cap loose or off with the car running will set a CEL but will the light will turn off the next time the evap system test itself with the car running.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
keebs23 said:
Most likely the problem your experiencing is emissions related. You probably had the gas cap loose or off with the car on. This will set a soft code that will turn the CEL off once the evap monitor test itself again with the gas cap on tight.

Refuel your car with the ign. off and tighten the gas cap all the way.

The evap system test itself, it will recognize a leak in the system; small-very larger. Leaving the gas cap loose or off with the car running will set a CEL but will the light will turn off the next time the evap system test itself with the car running.
...sort of. I took the car to autozone last night and they ran the codes. Sure enough, it was a loose or faulty gas cap. However, I checked this and the cap was absolutely tight. I refueled and tighted, restarted and the light never went away. So, I disconnected the battery for a minute and reconnected, which reset the light. No problems since. Could it be that my gas cap is faulty? I tighten till it clicks everytime... or at least I think I do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dgm said:
.sort of. I took the car to autozone last night and they ran the codes. Sure enough, it was a loose or faulty gas cap. However, I checked this and the cap was absolutely tight. I refueled and tighted, restarted and the light never went away. So, I disconnected the battery for a minute and reconnected, which reset the light. No problems since. Could it be that my gas cap is faulty? I tighten till it clicks everytime... or at least I think I do.
Possibly, I've seen a few cases. Taking it to the dealer when the light is on is the only real way to tell. They'll have to pressure test the gas cap and possibly smoke the evap system.

But most likely its being left off with the ign. on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assure you I've never started my car with the gas cap off. I tighten till it clicks at least 3 times. The crazy thing is that I could fill up with gas today and my check engine light might not come on until half way through this tank of fuel. Its not like it happens right away after I re-fuel. It just comes on after an hour on the highway, half way into a tank of gas for example.

·
Registered
33 Posts
dgm said:
I assure you I've never started my car with the gas cap off. I tighten till it clicks at least 3 times. The crazy thing is that I could fill up with gas today and my check engine light might not come on until half way through this tank of fuel. Its not like it happens right away after I re-fuel. It just comes on after an hour on the highway, half way into a tank of gas for example.
woo

·
Registered
43 Posts
The post about gas cap reminded me of similar incidents:

I had occasional problems with CEL with my Acura Integra back in the late 80's . Usually, it happened in hot weather when vapor and/or O2/gas mixture are more apt to go wrong. But it is not necessarily a bad thing because these vapors will clear after a while. However, the CEL function was designed to be a latch (stays on after it's been set) due to the fact that some problem could be serious. The fix? Unplug the battery to clear the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) and reset everything. If the CEL comes on again (I'd give it two tries), you definitely have a problem.

I later had the same problem with a Honda CR-V. I completely forgot about the resetting ECU trick. Took it to a dealer and they said it could be bent valves, and wanted to replace the engine head. Took it to an independent garage, they tuned it up and disconnected the battery in the process. CEL went away.

Electronics are good things, but when they don't work properly ... you'd wish life was simpler.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just had a CEL a week and a half ago after a bad dust storm here in Vegas - I pulled into my garage just moments after i drove through a big dust cloud that was blowing across the road. as i was in the garage idling - the CEL came on...i was like WTF??? so i turned it on and off a few times and the CEL stayed on. I then let it cool down and i took off my K&N intake cone and blew it out wih my airhose and put itback on and started the car - no more CEL and its been fine since.

I think there is always the possibility of CEL's that come on from something barely registering as "wrong" through the ECU's program but there really isnt a problem ( its mostly just annoying because we think something isnt right with our beloved cars ) even though its very minor.

In my case it seems that a dust cloud clogged my air filter just enough to kick on a CEL and tell me "hey, im not breathing so good right now - clean me" and for that those CEL's are a blessing - keep working the problem, you will figure it out. I always click my gas cap on 3 times and i always shut off my car when fueling - read through the manual, there are certain procedures for our cars that could actually cause problems if not done ( like filling only with premium fuel - or staying away from BP fuel ( lots of detergants ))

Good luck, hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been having this issue with my 06 2.0 since January. Had the code for a "very small EVAP leak". Had the code cleared, and it came back after my next tank of gas...twice. Replaced the gas cap and sure enough, today my CEL came on. Just filled the tank 2 days ago. Seems to happen every tank. Any suggestions? No time or $$$ to get to the dealer for a couple weeks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts