Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a gti 1.8l and the old owner made the wrong move of keeping it completly stock. there is so much to choose from so what do you think my first purchase should be. gimme somthing good! O0

·
Registered
635 Posts
hes just saying since ur car is stock u can make the choices of what to do to it instead of buying an already modded car

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't think Collin was saying he wished the previous owner had modded. Only that that he didn't mod it, and that's weird; because would own a GTI and not personalize it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya thats what i meant. i would never want an already modded car. thats too risky. so what should i do first , i was just thinking with a simple CAI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No Chip off the bat... without proper upgrades it can hurt your engine.

First you need to upgrade with an air intake, exhaust, blow-off (diverter) valve... then upgrade the fuel pump... then you would be ready for a chip.

Unless you are just into aesthetics and sound... then I would say BBS or Volk rims, Suspension w/ Lowering Springs, Intake, Exhaust, Tint.

Just keep it clean and make reasonable modifications in a safe way.

*Also, try tying your front license plate on with zip-ties to your front grille on the side, under where you would normally screw it in the front. It's weird, but license plate placement can really make a car look a million times better. Keeping it straight in the middle is too "stock".

·
Registered
635 Posts
as long as u dont do stage II chip upgrades you'd be fine with going bone stock on everything else...the off to the side plate seems to rice for me especially with zip ties..I see too many Evo's done like that...there arent many fuel pump upgrades out so wait a bit till more companies come out with better cheaper models..not 1000 dollare ones...on urs though air intake and exhaust would prob be first steps then chipping

·
Registered
16 Posts
kylmos said:
as long as u dont do stage II chip upgrades you'd be fine with going bone stock on everything else...the off to the side plate seems to rice for me especially with zip ties..I see too many Evo's done like that...there arent many fuel pump upgrades out so wait a bit till more companies come out with better cheaper models..not 1000 dollare ones...on urs though air intake and exhaust would prob be first steps then chipping
Side plate is too rice? No way dude... that's JDM style.
It's a clean way to make an easy visual adjustment to your car.
Ghetto paints jobs and decals are rice... moving your front license plate off of the bumper and onto the side of the grille is JDM.

You think this looks rice?

·
Registered
16 Posts
uncle dude said:
^^ do you crank your ball cap to the side too? Is that JDM style? What is JDM style - educate me.
Negative.

It may be a japanese style, but it is far from rice...

Here you go:
JDM - The style is mainly keeping the exterior of ones car with all "OEM" - original equipment manufacturer. JDM is considered more of a "clean look" as opposed to body kits and bright paint jobs.

You think that moving your plate off of the bumper is comparable to body kits, wings, crazy paint jobs, decals, etc.?

I think it's just something that doesn't obstruct the bumper, and stashes the plate away, neatly. Why cover up the beautiful body of a GTI with an ugly license plate?

Please explain to me how this is rice... Educate Me!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I prefer my GTI adheres to DDM style. ^-^

Edit: OK- I do have Italian wheels, but they are TUV rated.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I think JDM has a bad rep. The ricers have ruined it.

Some people who claim JDM don't do it justice.

I think the side plate isn't ricer, but it has a japanese feel to it. Which in my opinion isn't bad, but isn't going with the whole GTI/german thing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
What?? ECU flash, and rear sway bar hands down. $1002.00 installed, and you pick up HP, torque, and handling. You don't need all that other crap listed below before flashing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed a Magnaflow exhaust on my 1.8T It's Catback. I left the stock downpipe on it cause i haven't picked out the one i want yet, but i just want you to know i'm very pleased with the sound. It gave me a little more umph but nothing to impressive. Mostly sound quality is the matter here.
It's low but not really loud. I also bought a Greddy RS blow off valve. It has a lot of SHHHHH. Which i'm fine with. It doesn't have the squeek in it. Like the HKS blow off valve. It's up to you and what you can afford.
Next I wanna get a FMIC, and i still haven't decided what cold air intake i want. Any opionons on the FMIC and CAI?
Let me know fellas

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
How much did you want to spend on an FMIC? Most companies sell the whole kit for 1k+... ABR, ABD, Forge... Forge also makes a sidemount that keeps temps like 50-75 degrees cooler than stock and still gives the sleeper status... Intakes are a world of choice too... I personally have the AEM and it makes the motor much louder and helps make the stock diverter sound much much louder... Some would say it makes it louder than an actually BOV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.