Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the R32 is just a little quicker to 60 than a standard GTI... It is also heavier with the VR6. Plus it costs thousands more! Don't get me wrong, it's a cool car with that V6 growl but...

·
Registered
530 Posts
AWD

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
mikey3117 said:
It seems like the R32 is just a little quicker to 60 than a standard GTI... It is also heavier with the VR6. Plus it costs thousands more! Don't get me wrong, it's a cool car with that V6 growl but...
It's the "flagship" of the MkV line... Now when the MkIV Series 1 R32 came out it was head and shoulders over the MkIV GTI power wise (180HP vs 240HP).
Other than the AWD, a mildly tuned MkV will be just as fast as the Series 2.

Is it worth the extra $$... if I was buying new I would consider it... but to make any more power you are talking at least $5K in parts (not including labor) for a super charger, and there are also some limitations on what the DSG can put up with.

Wake me up when the R36 is released. :(

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
yeah, the only thing thats good about the r32 is 4wd. besides that, the extra gain of hp is not worth it. you gain 1.6l in displacement, 2 more cylinders, yet only 60hp. you can do that with a stage 2 chip mod, intake and exhaust on the gti, and still save 10k, and a bunch of weight.

ofcourse if you have tons of cash, i wish i did, then the r32 platform with all wheel drive is better for serious mods. twin turbo it, make crazy numbers.

if i had those kinds of funds, i would get a brand new mustang gt for my money. i saw one the other day, was lowered, had nice beefy wheels on the back, shaved badges, clean look all around. i played with it on the freeway a bit. kept up for the most part >:D i dont care what you guys have to say, i have been a mustang fan for some time. i do love my fast, its a great car. but the pony is just classic. i wouldnt mind having one later on in life.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I forgot about the AWD!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I test drove one shortly after it came out and I did not like it at all. There are three things I actually like about it though. The V6 growl (with an exhaust it would sound amazing), the rear bumper (love the center exit dual tips), and the AWD (though it adds so much weight). Other than that the thing just felt slow and sluggish. I would take one on in a heartbeat in my GTI. After the test drive I told the guy "look, I honestly like my GTI much better. Thanks though." lol. Another thing, why did they not use a more agressive version of the GTI front facia? The R32 front end looks more like a Rabbit to me...*shrug* 1.5 thumbs down in my opinion.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah seriously thats an R32 to be reckoned with, I mean seriously smoking all four would be impressive. And 11 second quarter miles thats amazing. I want one.

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
TOE_FAST said:
Dragon, did you read this???

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/projects_current_Mk5_R32.htm

HPA has figured a way to make CRAZY numbers even with the DSG, tell me your opinion after you read this? Also.. i know it would cost a ton, but to have an R32 that could hang with a ferarri enzo should be worth some coin shouldnt it? talk about your sleeper.
Any idea how much it is?

·
Registered
577 Posts
so 65 grand for a gti that can run with an Enzo - ill take 2 and still have enough for a fully equipped garage :)

The real question is just how bulletproof it is? sounds like it could be a daily driver, but definitely a beast!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm not sure about this one (although I think it's safe to assume), but I talked with a guy who had an TT'd MKIV R32. He basically said that you wouldn't know it was any different from stock until you got on it. Pretty sweet.

·
Registered
577 Posts
WaZzAp1101 said:
traction is the allure of the R32, thats all.
even a 575 hp twin turbo R32? I think the allure of having a car like that goes beyond traction :) but yea, traction would def help. hehe

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
TOE_FAST said:
WaZzAp1101 said:
traction is the allure of the R32, thats all.
even a 575 hp twin turbo R32? I think the allure of having a car like that goes beyond traction :) but yea, traction would def help. hehe
That too lol! But I'm assuming that he'd buy the R32 stock.
But if hes got the money to spend, 575hp twin turbo power is just a matter of breaking the bank >:D >:D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Its way beyond my budget, thats a toy upgrade for a guy making over 6 figures and nothing else to do with his money.

But still ... 38,500 .... doesnt seem that far out of reach to have the ultimate GTI.

3.5 sec 0-60
11.9 quarter mile
stock R32 looks

making porsche owners cry - priceless!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Price is to high, for $30,000 I would have no problem its a great car but for $35,000 to many better cars exist.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Traction is a great thing to have!!! I can barely keep the tires quiet when stepping on it in my GIAC tuned DSG GTI. It gets rough shifting into Second...Whap, SKKIIEIEIEIEIIEEIEIIRRRIRIITIT!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts