Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i just bought a 2001 golf 1.8t....
just wondering what upgrades i should install to gain Hp and make the car faster in general? heres a list i was thinking
exhaust full magnaflow
computer chip (WHICH ONE?)
hks blowoff
Higher cc fuel injectors if not pointless with stock turbo?
Cold air intake
What else should i add or what do you recommend i should install?
PLEAsE HELP .....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it a manual car?

If you do the chip and the other mods you mentioned on a manual car, you will blow out the clutch, not to mention that most used manuals usually blow the clutch out pretty fast.

Cheap decent upgrades:

short shift kit- do the audi conversion one- like 50 bucks on autotech, or get the oem audi part
replace the transmission mount bushings- like 40 bucks on autotech

Also a new turbo intake would be a good ad on. You can get them for like 180, and they add about 12 whp and increase responsiveness.

The others you mentioned are all decent (if you have to make a choice, put off the bv and the injectors till later)

For chip, they all are good. This forum loves APR, but really you will love whatever one you get. I personally have GIAC, and love it. They were the only chip option near me, but they are great.

There are all kinds of little valves that will help some of the hiccups you will get after the chip. If you have any surging, look at a new N75 valve, and you could get a 4 bar fuel regulator.

That will get you a great start, but its a slippery slope- once you start, you wont be able to stop... then you will be getting new intercoolers, suspension, bigger turbo... So much fun :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot :). Yes it is a 5 speed, id never drive auto lol. And yes i am planning to do all these upgrades but are you saying i should upgrade my clutch if i go ahead with these upgrades? If so what (Stage) clutch would you recommend buying. Money really isnt an option. Thanks again raver1414.

·
Registered
58 Posts
you should definitely get a short ram intake rather than cold air for the turbo.
cold air sucks in cold air, but it'll heat back up w/ the turbo.
I'd suggest getting yourself a short ram, for the turbo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@slippednfelled- Every chip maker i have ever heard of has an option for a bigger turbo... APR, GIAC, REVO, etc...

and to answer your question deejay, you will be fine with a stage one unless you get a bigger turbo. If you plan on a bigger turbo, just jump straight to stage 2. Stage ones are usually good out to 250-275 hp on our cars. But the stock clutch will go out. Maybe not as fast as some, but the slipping starts almost immediately. It is an awesome upgrade tho and completely worth the price. Car is much faster and more fun to drive.

Also, pulleys are a good upgrade, but i recommend waiting until you change your timing belt. Especially if you don't change the timing belt yourself, because they would have to pull the engine anyway and redo the belt, which is money that could be saved for later. I just had new pulleys installed when my timing belt got change, and they didn't even charge me for the install time, since they were there anyway (and ecstuning sells a bundle, ultimate timing belt kit and pulleys that saves alot of money when you buy together).

Also the whole short ram vs CAI thing is way blown out of proportion. Everyone prefers one. They each have their advantages, but in the end, they only add 7ish hp, they each get more cold air to the engine, and you won't notice power increase either way (the noise is spectacular tho. My CAI has one of the best sounds ever). Go with whatever one you find more visually appealing.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
and to answer your question deejay, you will be fine with a stage one unless you get a bigger turbo. If you plan on a bigger turbo, just jump straight to stage 2. Stage ones are usually good out to 250-275 hp on our cars. But the stock clutch will go out. Maybe not as fast as some, but the slipping starts almost immediately.
Also, pulleys are a good upgrade, but i recommend waiting until you change your timing belt. Especially if you don't change the timing belt yourself, because they would have to pull the engine anyway and redo the belt, which is money that could be saved for later. I just had new pulleys installed when my timing belt got change, and they didn't even charge me for the install time, since they were there anyway (and ecstuning sells a bundle, ultimate timing belt kit and pulleys that saves alot of money when you buy together).
stg 2 is chip + exhaust and it won't get you at 250 wheel hp, (theres another thread with this going on) and if you ruined your clutch almost immediately after getting chipped, change how you drive, the clutch can handle the tq for a while before it gets noticeable, and you dont have to remove the timing belt to add any pulleys the timing belt goes from crank to cam and you don't replace either of those sprockets for lighter versions, its the acc belt you have to pull off, then you can play with crank pulley, ps pulley, alt pulley

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
and unitronic is the best for BT (in most instances) if you want a gt28xx go for revo, apr or giac, since thats what they offer as a bt file and just that, revo is developing some more, but not out as of yet, uni offers a variety of injector sizes so you can choose which turbo and then based on your fueling needs they can get a tune for you

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
and unitronic is the best for BT (in most instances) if you want a gt28xx go for revo, apr or giac, since thats what they offer as a bt file and just that, revo is developing some more, but not out as of yet, uni offers a variety of injector sizes so you can choose which turbo and then based on your fueling needs they can get a tune for you
Dlight is right here, apr,revo may offer "bt" but while they do, a ko4 is not a BT, its a medium/small turbo. just a tad bigger than the ko3s. Unitronic is the only major company to offer multiple BT applications.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I could build you a BT set up and get you a tune from uni that would snap your rods with ease, and sadly, probably for the same price most people want for a k04 set up.

Honestly, even with the power the car needs to be able to handle it. The factory sway bars are barely useful, they just cant hold the car during spirited driving. I would recommend going to a stage 2 car, and then taking on the handling aspect or vise versa. The braking fades and the car rolls a lot. If you don't really intend on taking it to a track, neither one of those truly matter on the street. You will notice the roll but it wont affect you in many ways. It really depends on what your intentions are and what you have planned for the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol i now feel like a noob :( All this stuff you guys are going on with is all jibrish to me right now lol, sorry.

But what kind of performance chip should i get?

Then again just make a list on how you think i should upgrade and in what order?

Example:
1. performance chip (brand name?)
2. exhaust
3. etc
4. etc

Basiclly i'm using my car for regular driving but at any random time i could end up in a street race (1/4 mile) and i want to be able to blow away most cars. I just put away my v6 Mustang 3.8l to test TUNER cars and was wondering was it worth it? Is a 1.8t golf faster or better car?

Sorry for being such a dumb ass, i thought i knew alittle more about cars then i actually do. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Basiclly i'm using my car for regular driving but at any random time i could end up in a street race (1/4 mile) and i want to be able to blow away most cars. I just put away my v6 Mustang 3.8l to test TUNER cars and was wondering was it worth it? Is a 1.8t golf faster or better car?
I walk away from v8 mustangs like they were kids on tricycles

·
Registered
691 Posts
Lol i now feel like a noob :( All this stuff you guys are going on with is all jibrish to me right now lol, sorry.

But what kind of performance chip should i get?

Then again just make a list on how you think i should upgrade and in what order?

Example:
1. performance chip (brand name?)
2. exhaust
3. etc
4. etc

Sorry for being such a dumb ass, i thought i knew alittle more about cars then i actually do. Thanks again for your help.
I really dont miss this place. The only one that had some common sense in th whole thread was D.

APR offer a GT28XX file for their kits. You can get custom tuning from them but you are gonna have to drop off the car and pay big bucks.

GIAC "BT" files blow
Revo Blows (remember all the EIP cars blowing up??? Tuned by revo)

Unitronic and Eurodyne are the only chip tuners worth mentioning for real BT set tunes.

I am a Unitronic Dealer and a APR dealer and UNI FTMFW!!! Their tunes blow the pants off of the competitors for just a tad more money.

Ask Teh Chris. I tuned his car twice with APR and then Unitronic!

CLUTCH: I have had my car chipped since it was at 8,000 miles and I am just over 75,000. Its all in how you drive the car that determines how long the clutch lasts. (when referring to chiped ECU's)

CAI: Dotn drive through a freakin lake and you will be fine! Actually the only cars I have ever done motors on were a Toureag V8 and an Audi A4 V6 3.0L. (from hydro lock)

If you are looking for 250whp out of your KO3 then keep dreaming. One guy put down 263 WHP on all possible boltons but the car was a pain to drive and he spent more money and time than it would have taken to do it with a bigger turbo and a correct tune.

1. Chip Tune (Unitronic) 500 +
2. Turbo Back Exhaust (Good named brand not this chinese ebay crap) 700 to 900
3. CAI 120.00 to160.00
4. DV 115 +
5. Turbo Inlet pipe 180.00 or so
6. Throttle body pipe 145 +
7. FMIC 800.00
8. BT set up and internals.

Oh and a clutch eventually

Give me a call or check out my site. I will be nmore than happy to help you out.

Oh and Boosted said some good stuff too!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
"stg 2 is chip + exhaust and it won't get you at 250 wheel hp, (theres another thread with this going on) and if you ruined your clutch almost immediately after getting chipped, change how you drive, the clutch can handle the tq for a while before it gets noticeable, and you dont have to remove the timing belt to add any pulleys the timing belt goes from crank to cam and you don't replace either of those sprockets for lighter versions, its the acc belt you have to pull off, then you can play with crank pulley, ps pulley, alt pulley"

I suggested he do the pulleys at the same time as the timing belt, because you can save a lot of money that way if you are having a mechanic do the change since there is a lot of overlapping labor. Mine didn't even charge me...

Also, I said he should get a stg2 Clutch if he was getting a big turbo, since big turbo plus the neccesary chip and exhaust will get you over 250 in a hurry...

And have you ever heard of mechanical defects, or are you just retarded? It is completely possible to notice a clutch slipping and starting to go. I went chip and turbo back exhaust in a day, and my car started slipping a week and a half later. I wish i would have known just to add the clutch from the beginning. All of this happened under normal driving conditions, mostly interstate. It was no fault of my driving, maybe I just got a Lemon, but either way, he said he wasn't that concerned with money, so why not get a better clutch?

·
Registered
691 Posts
"stg 2 is chip + exhaust and it won't get you at 250 wheel hp, (theres another thread with this going on) and if you ruined your clutch almost immediately after getting chipped, change how you drive, the clutch can handle the tq for a while before it gets noticeable, and you dont have to remove the timing belt to add any pulleys the timing belt goes from crank to cam and you don't replace either of those sprockets for lighter versions, its the acc belt you have to pull off, then you can play with crank pulley, ps pulley, alt pulley"

I suggested he do the pulleys at the same time as the timing belt, because you can save a lot of money that way if you are having a mechanic do the change since there is a lot of overlapping labor. Mine didn't even charge me...

Also, I said he should get a stg2 Clutch if he was getting a big turbo, since big turbo plus the neccesary chip and exhaust will get you over 250 in a hurry...

And have you ever heard of mechanical defects, or are you just retarded? It is completely possible to notice a clutch slipping and starting to go. I went chip and turbo back exhaust in a day, and my car started slipping a week and a half later. I wish i would have known just to add the clutch from the beginning. All of this happened under normal driving conditions, mostly interstate. It was no fault of my driving, maybe I just got a Lemon, but either way, he said he wasn't that concerned with money, so why not get a better clutch?

You need to slow your roll here buddy! calling people retarded after making this statement...

"Also, pulleys are a good upgrade, but i recommend waiting until you change your timing belt. Especially if you don't change the timing belt yourself",(my favorite) "because they would have to pull the engine anyway and redo the belt, which is money that could be saved for later". I just had new pulleys installed when my timing belt got change, and they didn't even charge me for the install time, since they were there anyway (and ecstuning sells a bundle, ultimate timing belt kit and pulleys that saves alot of money when you buy together)".

I think the question is are you retarded? Look my point being if you don't know what you are talking about (but you really just want to post something) then ask questions or read!!!! But quit posting till you actually learn something.

Most of us are willing to teach and answer questions (if they are asked) and if your not a dick about it!

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
You need to slow your roll here buddy! calling people retarded after making this statement...

"Also, pulleys are a good upgrade, but i recommend waiting until you change your timing belt. Especially if you don't change the timing belt yourself",(my favorite) "because they would have to pull the engine anyway and redo the belt, which is money that could be saved for later". I just had new pulleys installed when my timing belt got change, and they didn't even charge me for the install time, since they were there anyway (and ecstuning sells a bundle, ultimate timing belt kit and pulleys that saves alot of money when you buy together)".

I think the question is are you retarded? Look my point being if you don't know what you are talking about (but you really just want to post something) then ask questions or read!!!! But quit posting till you actually learn something.

Most of us are willing to teach and answer questions (if they are asked) and if your not a dick about it!
I saw the guy you quoted and with the purple font thought it was me, antways, I love answer questions, makes me feel bigger in teh pants, yeah I'm drunk and Shelby is slangin parts but he's a smart dude, and homeboy biting on the purple font it's a bad look No me gusta pimpin, no me gusta,wait I noticed you just suck at quoting, and 5 posts in call me retarted, which most members here no is a no no.?.?.? Kthnxbai for your contributioon f*ck sh1t

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
@slippednfelled- Every chip maker i have ever heard of has an option for a bigger turbo... APR, GIAC, REVO, etc...

and to answer your question deejay, you will be fine with a stage one unless you get a bigger turbo. If you plan on a bigger turbo, just jump straight to stage 2. Stage ones are usually good out to 250-275 hp on our cars. But the stock clutch will go out. Maybe not as fast as some, but the slipping starts almost immediately. It is an awesome upgrade tho and completely worth the price. Car is much faster and more fun to drive.

Also the whole short ram vs CAI thing is way blown out of proportion. Everyone prefers one. They each have their advantages, but in the end, they only add 7ish hp, they each get more cold air to the engine, and you won't notice power increase either way (the noise is spectacular tho. My CAI has one of the best sounds ever). Go with whatever one you find more visually appealing.
And I dont like you so lemme tear apart you post whilst drunk cool? ... Awesome
#1Big turbo, all tuners have em not so much neuspeed and ... hwere are they? and what about selectivity ... APR GIAC etc Talkin out your ass
#2 clutches go based on tq not hp, so auto fail, #2 part 2, my clutch doesn't slip and I've been trackng ah car on stage 2+ for over a year... out yer ass
#3 clutches don't make a car faster a lightweight flywheel makes a car rev up faster but it will drop the rpms between gears faster due to its lower weight and less rotational mass, thus equalling out.. out yer ass
#4 I f your mechanic had to pull your engine to do your TB he sucks or he ripped you off, either way you deserve it, the tb can be done engine in car 0 problems, find me somewhere that recomends puling the engine and BOOM uncredible site, ... i hope ya got ripped off and that some mech said it was a seperate job
#5 find an intake that adds 7 whp time after time ad i found you a liar even with tuning they wont net that much, stock shaved airobx is equal to CFM of an aftermarket intake... talkin .... OUT YER ASS
#6 what intake are you using so I can $hit on how you wasted money?

.Go on .... call me retarded again.... Dumb ass, whats sad is I know more about a dub drunk then you do sober witha haynes or bently manual in front of you

1 - 20 of 35 Posts