Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about chipping my car with a stage 2+ apr tune. But i do no know if its the best out there for the price. If someone knows lots about tune, i would greatly appreciate it if someone gave me some advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
There is no "best". Its all personal preference and which tuner is closer to you. I have unitronic and love it. Its a little more aggressive than apr.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I didnt dyno my car so I dont know the exact. check the different tuning companies websites for hp numbers, and know that they're inflated compared to real world results. Also I recommend you take a look at the mkiv mod guide on the stickies

·
Can it really be?
339 Posts
ive meet a lot of people with tunes on their vehicles and a few have had just about every tune available and all of them have settled on unitronic. but im not saying its the end all you have to find whats best for you and whats close to you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is there any reason why unitronic is their favorite? I'm considering that instead of APR
Unitronic is a little more aggressive than APR. I was going to get unitronic, and was pretty much set on it until I was reading about gonzo tuning. He has the same hp numbers posted on his site for stage to compared to unitronic stage 2. I have heard though that unitronic is moe aggressive than gonzo, but that was a thread from 5 years ago haha. I'm gonna get a gonzo tune because they are comparable to unitronic, and are cheaper. His stage 2 tune is 450 without anti lag, which I probably don't need but im getting it because its bad ass. with it its 500 and 508 with shipping costs. He also has aton of optional addons for free like emissions delete, evap delete etc. and other upgrades like valet mode and other things. His programs are also changeable in the car. Im not sure if unitronic is or not.

·
Can it really be?
339 Posts
it has the best of both worlds i get high gas mileage and great Horsepower and Torque gains under heavy load. better throttle response and i hear the same things from my other VW friends that have switched to Unitronic.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Rogue, are you serious about the anti-lag? Is it a true anti-lag? Because if it's a real setup, your turbo and exhaust life will be severely reduced.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rogue, are you serious about the anti-lag? Is it a true anti-lag? Because if it's a real setup, your turbo and exhaust life will be severely reduced.
I'm not sure if it's 100% true anti lag, but it's a switchable program. I won't be using it daily driving on the antilag program. You can switch between modes. It'd be for the track and even then I wouldn't be using it every time

·
Can it really be?
339 Posts
i was looking in to gonzo for the price also asked about the anti lag. was told he wont program it in because it will destroy the wastegate and cat even if i do pay for it and unitronic isnt tunable in car unless you have the uniconnect like i have. i can change programs from stock all the way up to stage 2 plus and valet which is barely drivable except to park the vehicle. but im getting the F21 from frankenturbo and because i already have all the software i need i figure ill stick with what i have available to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for that info, im running catless but ill probably just no even bother with anti lag then. Maybe latr on ill get It programmed in when I go bt and have an external gate. Saves me doll hairs anyways. I know with gonzo you switch tunes with the blinker stalk I believe before you turn the key on. Pretty snazzy. But if im not getting anti lag ill only have stock tune and the stage 2 haha. He only recommends a new dv which im getting and a upgraded intercooler which I just need piping because I have the intercooler itself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am on my 3rd mk4 gti 1.8t now and I am currently researching this as well. I had Unitronic on my first GTI, loved it. My 2nd GTI had APR stage 3+ kit and the software always had issues. I have a friend with a Ko4 mk4 GLI running apr and he has the same overboost/limp mode issues with APR I had. Now on this 3rd GTI I am considering going with Maestro tuning suite. The reason I am considering this is I probably won't stay stock turbo and I have yet to decide which route to take. Does anyone have any experience between the Maestro and Unitronic? I loved Uni, but once i do all the evap delete and everything they are almost the same price and with Maestro I can upgrade files for free for whatever set up I eventually get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts