My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off: This should not be considered legal advice. The laws vary from state to state and even some simple principles could apply outside of the US. If you have a question consult appropriate legal counsel and know your local laws.

You look behind you and see the flashing lights :(

1- Pull to your right and slow down. Look for a safe spot to stop. If you are on a freeway, consider if it's safe and practical to exit the freeway- Drive at the speed limit and acknowledge the Officer with a hand signal that you are going to get off the freeway and pull over in a safe location.

2- As you stop, take deep breath and relax. Remember Cops are people too. Drop any attitude and deal with the Officer like you would talk to a customer or a cow-orker while at work. Don't use terms like "dude or man". If you wanna be a kiss ass- refer to the Officer by their title (Officer, Deputy, Trooper, Ranger... or what ever the appropriate title is for that Officer- they work for a living.)

3- Once stopped, roll down both the passenger side windows. DO NOT GET OUT OF THE CAR unless you are told to. If you have people in the back roll all windows down if you have a 4dr. If it's night time- turn on your interior lights.
Place your hands on your steering wheel and WAIT for the Officer to instruct you to get your license, registration and proof of insurance. Don't make any movements unless you have to.

4- Don't admit guilt. "Do you know how fast you were going?"- 98% you will hang yourself with the answer due to being nervous. THINK before you answer.

5- Don't drop names. If your Uncle is Sgt. Jones with the same agency... by all means ask if he's on duty. The Officer will ask "why?" and say "He'd kick my ass for being pulled over and I won't hear the end of it!"... Just don't say "MY UNCLE IS A SGT.!"

6- If you get a ticket and are unclear on the violation; ask the officer for an explanation in a respectful manner. Answer the officerÂ's questions and ask your own questions in a calm and courteous manner. Remember, if you disagree with the ticket, you will have an opportunity to go to court. The ticket aside, if you believe that the officer acted irresponsibly or inappropriately, you should most certainly call the agency and ask to speak with a shift supervisor after the traffic stop is done.

Your attitude, actions and demeanor will greatly dictate the difference between getting a break, getting just one violation or a full courtesy vehicle inspection and/or being impounded.

Did I miss anything? No, I'm not a LEO, but years ago I used to play one on TV. ;D

·
Registered
119 Posts
ok look im not shure where u live but out here cops are dicks, city, state or county all are. they think there above the law, going as fast as they want and runing red lights. oh and ull never get a break unless ur a good looking girl who crys. I had a cop give me a ticket for my car being 1/2in to low, the center of head light has to be a min height of 22in. i was 21 and a half. so i had to adjust my air bags.

you forgot to say one more thing.

Even if you get a ticket FIGHT IT. when u do the officer has to show up to prove you wrong, 75% of time they NEVER show, unless you make them.i did and i WON. why? he never showed and the judge through out the case.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
134GTI said:
ok look im not shure where u live but out here cops are dicks, city, state or county all are. they think there above the law, going as fast as they want and runing red lights. oh and ull never get a break unless ur a good looking girl who crys. I had a cop give me a ticket for my car being 1/2in to low, the center of head light has to be a min height of 22in. i was 21 and a half. so i had to adjust my air bags.

Even if you get a ticket FIGHT IT. when u do the officer has to show up to prove you wrong, 75% of time they NEVER show, unless you make them.i did and i WON. why? he never showed and the judge through out the case.
Man........ you are a moron, listen to you blaming the cop because your car was 1/2" too low, Reality check genius, you dropped your car not the cop....... take responsibility for your actions.

And by the way, most cops schedule court appearances on their days off just so they can get overtime if someone wants to contest the cite. Before you come up with a percentage like 75% don't show up, you may want to actually have a basic idea of what you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
134GTI said:
Maybe they are dicks because of your actions and/or attitude.

No dude- around here the cops have to show up---- plus they LOVE to. They get overtime.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I used to be a part time volunteer cop in a very small town where very little happens and I never heard of a cop actually being hurt on duty. Just from my experience in a town like that, I can tell you cops ARE dicks but for a very good reason. They have to project the idea that they are in control because whenever you pull someone over, no matter what for, you have no idea what's in that car. Could be making a stop for speeding and find a psycho driver who's got a body in the trunk. I'd be scared shitless to make a stop here in LA county.

The very best thing you can do during a traffic stop is to make the cop comfortable. Be courteous, noconfrontational, and receptive to what he has to say. If he asks to see something (like your back seat or the trunk), you don't have to show him unless he sees something suspicious or gets a warrant; but I can tell you if you refuse to open the trunk, you're likely to sit there and wait for a warrant (which isn't hard to get, but takes a while) as well as a K-9 unit. Basically, if you don't have anything incriminating in the trunk, you might as well open it immediately and if you're curious, ask him what's up after you open the lid, but be nice about it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I got pulled over last night and thought, this sucks but at least I have that handy list from Dragon. She asked for my insurance papers and I said "whoa honey we only just got to point #3, and I don't see anywhere on this list where I have to show you my papers, so I guess I'll be on my way". Well, she became a bit of 'dick' after that.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uncle dude said:
I got pulled over last night and thought, this sucks but at least I have that handy list from Dragon. She asked for my insurance papers and I said "whoa honey we only just got to point #3, and I don't see anywhere on this list where I have to show you my papers, so I guess I'll be on my way". Well, she became a bit of 'dick' after that.
Next time have the list uploaded to your MFD for easy access- this way you can keep your hands on the wheel while reading the list :p

As BFP pointed out: make the cop comfortable. There is no such thing as a "routine" stop. They are not only having to watch you... but they also have to watch traffic. It makes for a stressful situation:

·
Registered
842 Posts
That is a disturbing clip. All police officers should be paid more, in Canada I think they only average around $50,000 per year - not enough for the job they do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
7. If you at one time lived on a military base, NEVER change your address off of your ID. ;D I've gotten warnings twice by leaving my base info on my ID and my insurance. My husband has gotten let off several times as well. It's not as obvious as flashing a military ID, like a lot of people I know have.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
uncle dude said:
That is a disturbing clip. All police officers should be paid more, in Canada I think they only average around $50,000 per year - not enough for the job they do.
NYPD is $32,700 a yr after academy graduation.

·
Registered
119 Posts
22350 said:
134GTI said:

Man........ you are a moron, listen to you blaming the cop because your car was 1/2" too low, Reality check genius, you dropped your car not the cop....... take responsibility for your actions.

And by the way, most cops schedule court appearances on their days off just so they can get overtime if someone wants to contest the cite. Before you come up with a percentage like 75% don't show up, you may want to actually have a basic idea of what you are talking about.
look it was not my fault the cop was having a bad day, i knew the sec he walk up, i was nice and all that good stuff, but he was already mad, no one can help that. but 1/2in come on. i dont care i won the case any way. im not trying to bag on cops, i wanted to be 1, but some can be real dicks all the time.

as far as 75% of the cops dont show, it was just a guess, it might be less it might be more. i never said they WONT show i said they almost never but like i said they almost never show unless you make them remember you. (so dont piss them off)out here they write so many tickets; they have better things to do than go to every single one of them on there day off. so i know what im saying.

but if you come from a small town of course its not going to work.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
134GTI said:
22350 said:
134GTI said:

look it was not my fault the cop was having a bad day, i knew the sec he walk up, i was nice and all that good stuff, but he was already mad, no one can help that. but 1/2in come on. i dont care i won the case any way. im not trying to bag on cops, i wanted to be 1, but some can be real dicks all the time.

as far as 75% of the cops dont show, it was just a guess, it might be less it might be more. i never said they WONT show i said they almost never but like i said they almost never show unless you make them remember you. (so dont piss them off)out here they write so many tickets; they have better things to do than go to every single one of them on there day off. so i know what im saying.

but if you come from a small town of course its not going to work.
Alright, I'll admit it, I've been drinking......I think I will choose to leave you alone on this one due to the fact that as usual, you have totally missed the point.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
134GTI said:

Translation:

ok look im not shure where u live but out here cops are dicks, city, state or county all are.
I live in Mayberry, and Sheriff Andy Taylor was very strict. Even Deputy Fife was a by the book law enforcement official.
they think there above the law, going as fast as they want and runing red lights.
The town was so small we have only one stop-light.
oh and ull never get a break unless ur a good looking girl who crys. 1
Sheriff Taylor would never bother Goober, because he drove the only tow truck in Mayberry.

I had a cop give me a ticket for my car being 1/2in to low, the center of head light has to be a min height of 22in. i was 21 and a half.
One time I was pulled over by Deputy Barney, for a mechanical violation.
so i had to adjust my air bags. 2
The Deputy issued me a fix it ticket.

I'd like to remind everyone:

BLA-BLA-Bla-bLa-BlAh

Was that close?

I'd like to bring up:

1 Cops hate that crying crap. They will get a ticket 98% of the time. It's even funnier when the start to cry and roll down the window and find out it's a female officer.

2 What to hell do your airbags have to do with your ride height? You all got a pick-em-up truck?

In closing...

A cop stops a guy in a Nissan for running a stop sign and the subject gives the cop a ton of grief explaining that he did stop.

After several minutes, the cop explained to the guy that he didn't stop, he just slowed down a little.

The Nissan driver said, "Stop or slow down, what's the difference?!?".

The cop pulls the guy out of the car and worked him over with his baton for about a minute and then said to him, "Would you like for me to stop or just slow down?"

·
Registered
530 Posts
^^^Damn Dragon, that's some funny shit right there!

And to 134GTI, maybe you shouldn't offer the cops a drink when you get stopped. Just sayin'.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts