Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what oil should I use in a VR6 gti 6 speed? I went to the shell station to get the oil changed today because they do oil changes for 20 dollars. He told me since my car was a VW it would cost 50. this is unacceptable so I told him I'd do it myself. anyway, he said I needed a 5w40 oil, I'm not sure so I figured I would post here.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Trky said:
what oil should I use in a VR6 gti 6 speed? I went to the shell station to get the oil changed today because they do oil changes for 20 dollars. He told me since my car was a VW it would cost 50. this is unacceptable so I told him I'd do it myself. anyway, he said I needed a 5w40 oil, I'm not sure so I figured I would post here.
The spec should be in your owner's manual. O0

VW has a certain spec oil they prefer in their engines. VW 503 I believe.

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/motuloil.html <--- I'm using the 8100 on my next oil change.

IIRC Castrol full synth 5w40 is what is recommended on the r32 motor.

Edit/Correction: This is the VW spec oil from Motul: http://www.motorspotstore.com/sp500wvwgasa.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So would auto zone or pep boys carry this stuff or do I have to go to a dealer? this stuff is spensive! Maybe 50 for an oil change wasn't so bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I get the 5w40 or 0w30 or 0w40? It's not going to bother me to spend the money as long as I get the best for my precious.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Trky said:
Should I get the 5w40 or 0w30 or 0w40? It's not going to bother me to spend the money as long as I get the best for my precious.
How cold does it get where you live during the winter? If your car is going to be in cold climates the 0w30 or 40 should work better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought my VR6 in January and i put Castrol Syntec 5W 40 in b/c that's what the manual says. I just picked it up at Canadian Tire but u guys don't have that. I would assume that most places would carry it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.