Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I guess I'll start it off....

I wasn't really "car shopping" when I first really wanted the GTI. I went to the Houston Auto Show and I walked around a bit. Of course I went in sat in some of my favorite cars: EVO IX, Subaru STi, etc. I was passing by the VW section and I thought I'd look at the new Jetta's and Rabbits. Now I'm a tall guy (6'3") and the Evo and STi were both short as far as leg room goes and God knows I can't possibly shift when my legs are all weird, but I sat in the GTI and the leg room was awesome. I looked at the Tech. Specs. and fell in love even more. I had seen the old commercials with the Fast and the new "V-Dub in Haus" commercials and I always liked it... but now I LOVED it. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I went online and looked at the website, looked at pictures and came across this forum. From that point forward, I had to have one...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw the car at the Denver Auto Show, and it was one of the few cars that didn't have a line of people waiting to sit inside. I loved the feel of the steering wheel and seats, and was intrigued by the paddle shifters. I had read about DSG and thought it was an interesting technology. A few weeks later, I test drove a GTI and that was it -- I knew I had to have one! This was after test driving cars like RX-7, Nissan 350z, Mitsu Evo. My Honda S2000 was a great car, but it can't touch the versatility of the GTI...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I'm turning 16 soon (9 days!!!) and I've wanted a new Mustang GT for the longest time. I finally realized that with such a fast and powerful car, I would probably kill myself, especially seeing as how I am on the East Coast. I would also always be worrying about the car. The thing that really made me want a GTI was the DSG. I'm a tech geek, so something like that is so cool to me. When I got to sit in one, I knew I had to have it. My dad's Boxster feels a lot worse than a GTI. Those seats and that steering wheel = amazing!

Sorry for the rant...

Sparknotes = Because it's awesome!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well here goes, I had been driving a somewhat tricked out Honda Civic for about 7 years, it was a very reliable awesome car but it had NO power. This was really starting to get on my nerves when trying to pass cars or have any fun at all basically. So alot of my buddies were into GTI's but I couldn't be bothered because they were always to pricey. So one day i started looking for a new car (new to me) and started looking at Skylines, GTO's, anything right hand drive and imported. Those cars were fast but then they are old and the options list is kinda weak since the cars were made for speed and then the driver comfort is second. So I seen a black on black fully loaded 2001 Golf GTI VR6 and I got very interested. Next day i went to the dealership got in the car (I was sold on it at this point) and took it for a test-drive and that basically sealed the deal, 4 hours later i drove my GTI home and that is the best purchase I have ever made :D Anybody looking buying a GTI........just do it

·
Registered
749 Posts
My first experience with a GTI (other than occasionally seeing them on the road) was in the video game NFS:Most Wanted on my buddy's XBox 360. It was decent; not terribly fast but handled well and became our workhorse for running from the cops. Then, while car shopping with friends up in South Dakota, I saw two MkV's on the VW lot and drooled over them for a little while. I didn't buy then, but my friends ended up buying their car at another dealership and my wife and I came back later to look at a Passat for her, which we did buy later that week. Then the next week, when I got back here to California, I couldn't resist. I researched GTI's and the competition, test drove a GTI, test drove a MazdaSpeed3, and bought my GTI.

The moral of the story? I bought the GTI because it offered the most performance for a practical car in my price range and was far more fun to drive than anything I've ever been in.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
The commercials... Genius marketing. I could have starred in the Streamlined one and the Take Out or Delivery one.
The "unsupervised" Test Drive was the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When they were prototyping them in the Euro market, some rag did a spot on the GTI. I knew one day it would be mine. I clipped the shot and it got pinned on my wall. For my bday, I bought myself an 07 GTI in Sweet Ass Grey last year. She got some new rubber a few weeks ago and is happy as a clam.
Bless the MKV GTI.

·
Registered
842 Posts
1. We love hatchbacks and can't due without one.
2. We like German engineering in most products, not just cars.
3. It is a good value - loaded with lots of power and torque.
4. The warranty is good.
5. It looks really good, and the interior is better than a base A3 (our second choice).
6. We have 2 other Golfs, and have forced ourselves each time to look at competitors in the hatch class - and the reality is there are none.
7. It is understated, we really like that. Fast without being too obvious.
8. If you keep your foot out of it, still pretty good on gas.
9. It sounds really good, even stock.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wanted a hatch back so i can put larger things in for work. My 1st choices were Audi A3 or Mazda 3 hatch.
at this time i didnt know about the GTI yet because it had just come out. Then one day at my clients dealership they got a new UG GTI and i fell in love. I drove it before even driving the Audi or Mazda and it was awesome. I went to a VW dealer because this one was already sold. I drove the Audi 3 and got totally dissapointed. GTI was so much better and cheaper. At first i had hard time getting rid of my Cavalier Z24 i could not get a good trade in value. So i had to wait and 2 months later i sold it for $3000 than the dealer offered. The i went straight to the VW dealer. Ofcourse by this time the GTI were flying out of the dealership. I told the guy get me a GTI i dont care what color as long as it is manual. Originally i wanted the United Grey. But he got me a great Reflex Silver with manual and sun roof. PERFECT! :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
my dad actually forced me to go to the VW dealership. my mind was set on a used 3000gt VR-4 or 95 M3 haha. so after we went in and he showed me the jetta i saw the GTi and though hey... since its a hatch i can put my guitar amps in the back with no problem! now after negotiating with my dad how i am going to be able to pay off the car he agreed to get it :). i am very pleased with the outcome :D... good thing he forced me to go in ay? haha.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i was pretty hell bent on a 2000 audi s4 [gotta love twin turbos] or an e30 m3 but my dad was worried about maintenance on both cars. we came to the dealership just checking shit out, but i took my dad for a ride in the gti and he loved it and bought it.

now im paying him out the ass, but whatever, i love my fast. only gotta pay off $7000 more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a 2000 gti vr6 and i know how you feel..i thank god only have about 4000 more to pay on..but the insurance on it sucks.. but i deffinitly is the best car to have... it has so much power.. i love GTI's .. i dont ever want anything else

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is the easiest one yet:

I did the same as other tested: Mini, MS3, Audi A3, Civic SI, Scion, Tiburon, RSX-s and a few others, drove the GTI last.....I love test driving cars, I'll drive anything...

Reasons:

1) I sat in it
2) I drove it

;D

·
Registered
103 Posts
WHY DID U BUY A GTI

Did u buy the GTI because u fell in love with it
Are you a TRUE GTI love ... (had one before, or more)
Did u like the price

Or

What made u go out and buy a GTI

My self ... as a kid my uncle had a Yellow GTI .. and i loved that car ... and ever since i was able to drive i have owned a GTI .... wish they had a Yellow MKV available in Canada ... that be a sick RIDE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts