Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Fuel Octane

Gas is getting very expensive down in Florida. I've always put 91 octane in my VW (GTI VR6 24v). But I am seriously considering downgrading to 87 regular. Has anyone compared the difference in gas mileage between putting high octane and regular?
I experimented with this not long after I got my GTI. Used 87 for several tanks, noted my driving impressions and gas mileage. Used 91 for several tanks under the same driving conditions. Found out that, yes, you do lose some performance. I presume the car didn't accelerate as hard because it cannot allow the timing to advance as rapidly due to the possibility of detonation (pinging). Also lost between 1 1/2 to 2 mpg. Did the math and found out that this amounted to a savings of only a few, and I mean a few, dollars a month with 87. I'd rather pay for the 91 and enjoy the performance and piece of mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Revo SPS3 (93 octane program) on my MKIV 1.8T, and yes... 87 shakes during acceleration. I might suggest is adding octane booster (usually found inside beside the fuel injector cleaner) if you're going to go with the 87.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a question. can I have my 2007 gti programmed so i can use 87 octane instead 93... cause gass in new york is hitting $4.38
even if you have to pay .40 (most places are only .20 more) extra for the 93 it only comes up to 6 bucks or so more for a tank of the 93 vs. the 87.
6 bucks is worth not having to worry...

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of my driving I did it with super 93 octane. However, as you mention because of the higher gas prices I started using regular. To my surprise this got me more miles per gallon at 70mph (I got 32 all the time) then when I using SUPER 93 (I was getting 27 mpg). I did not notice any change in performance either.

Notice that the manual said premium recommended not require. According to Consumers Reports you can use regular when it says premium recommended and super if it says require!

You guys have to be the judge for your own car!

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
You will get ****tier gas mileage from regular and its horrible for our turbos, maybe not right away but def. down the road. Spend the money on super and dont be cheap.

·
Registered
346 Posts
And when all else fails. Read the manual.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.