Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: octane rating

AL and Mo its 87 89 93

as far as i know 91 is the highest octane in the states. at least in oklahoma. I know there are a few places where you can go to get higher but they usually require a special license, for instance a place that sales 100 octane. Its crazy they just have a single pump out by itself and it has 100 octane.
but most stations carry 91 highest. its usually 87 89 91

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Phat J, I answered your post in the new members thread, but I'll throw it out again. If 91 is the highest octane you have in cali....STICK WITH 91. Don't use the 87. Just trust me on this one. It costs maybe an extra $3 to use the good stuff, it's worth it!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
...I try to run 91 in my car as much as I can...it just gets to dang expensive. I'm a social service worker...cut me a break 'eh? I hear ya Dragon...87 doesn't quite feel right, but I can still get 28-30 mpg with 87. I'd rather be able to put a little more food on the table than worry about putting premium in my tank. I love my GTI ...don't get me wrong....but until they put a cap on the gas prices...my baby will just have to understand it doesn't get a treat of a full tank o' 91 all the time. Wish they higher octance than that around here....:(

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use 93 regardless of the price -- can I get away from this octane and just use 89?? this car is a BIG five year investment and I don't mind spending the extra cake to fuel her regardless of how badly Bush has screwed this economy.. Can't wait to smoke a Prius. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel Octane

Gas is getting very expensive down in Florida. I've always put 91 octane in my VW (GTI VR6 24v). But I am seriously considering downgrading to 87 regular. Has anyone compared the difference in gas mileage between putting high octane and regular?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Re: Fuel Octane

Gas is getting very expensive down in Florida. I've always put 91 octane in my VW (GTI VR6 24v). But I am seriously considering downgrading to 87 regular. Has anyone compared the difference in gas mileage between putting high octane and regular?
Milage usually stays the same, it's the power that is affected.

141 - 160 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.