Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
What gas is recommended?

I am very new to all this. I am looking at getting an 06 GTI. The dealer said I should put high grade gas in it if I am racing and beating on it. As for every day driving regular gas is fine. If anyone has any insight on this please help me out. Thank you.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: What gas is recommended?

Since you're new, I won't bash you too hard.

USE THE DAMN SEARCH!!

I'm going to answer your question though. Use the highest octane available at the pump.

Welcome to the forums, Thalo please delete.

·
Registered
53 Posts

VW's website, in the spec's pdf, states that 91 octane is recommended but 87 may be used with a slight reduction in performance. Most people don't understand about octane. It is not a measure of the quality of a gas or how hot it burns or how much power it will produce or anything like that. It is simply a measure of how much anti-knock (ping) property the fuel possesses. I have lately been running my car on 87 (gasp!!!) and it runs perfectly, not a single ping. VW is correct that there is a slight reduction in performance. This is because the computer will not allow the timing to advance as rapidly on 87 to prevent knocking (pinging). All modern cars have knock sensors to prevent this. I am currently taking note of gas mileage on 87. I will then compare it to mpg for several tanks of 91 at the same driving conditions to calculate if there is actually a monetary savings with either fuel. Of course, I would prefer to have the greater performance, but with premium gas just a few cents under $4 where I live, I am willing to give up a couple of tenths off my 0-60 time to save money. After all, I'm driving, not racing.

Now, before you all reply about how I am going to ruin my engine, void my warranty, etc, keep in mind, VW said it, I didn't. Also, the elevation where I live is 5200 feet above sea level. The higher you go in elevation, the lower octane is required to prevent knocking. Also, regardless of fuel used, higher elevation means lower oxygen content in the air = less horsepower :(

·
Registered
300 Posts

OK, now that something intelligent about octane was said, you have to merge, you can't just delete.

·
Registered
8 Posts

fyrefast said:
VW's website, in the spec's pdf, states that 91 octane is recommended but 87 may be used with a slight reduction in performance. Most people don't understand about octane. It is not a measure of the quality of a gas or how hot it burns or how much power it will produce or anything like that. It is simply a measure of how much anti-knock (ping) property the fuel possesses. I have lately been running my car on 87 (gasp!!!) and it runs perfectly, not a single ping. VW is correct that there is a slight reduction in performance. This is because the computer will not allow the timing to advance as rapidly on 87 to prevent knocking (pinging). All modern cars have knock sensors to prevent this. I am currently taking note of gas mileage on 87. I will then compare it to mpg for several tanks of 91 at the same driving conditions to calculate if there is actually a monetary savings with either fuel. Of course, I would prefer to have the greater performance, but with premium gas just a few cents under $4 where I live, I am willing to give up a couple of tenths off my 0-60 time to save money. After all, I'm driving, not racing.

Now, before you all reply about how I am going to ruin my engine, void my warranty, etc, keep in mind, VW said it, I didn't. Also, the elevation where I live is 5200 feet above sea level. The higher you go in elevation, the lower octane is required to prevent knocking. Also, regardless of fuel used, higher elevation means lower oxygen content in the air = less horsepower :(
Actually, octane rating is a measure of how evenly gas will burn and higher octane gas burns slower than lower octane. That is where the knock comes into play - quicker burning m ore rapid expansion of gases causes knock. I worked on Petrochemicals for a while and in gasoline research.

My wife has a '01 Volvo S40 which also has a Turbo 4. We have run 87 octane in her car with no issues since we bought it. Her manual states the same as the GTI manual, but the Volvo mechanics said there would be no issues and there has not. Just keep burning the same octane gas - that is the key.

Dave

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

10bv01 said:
Since you're new, I won't bash you too hard.

USE THE DAMN SEARCH!!

I'm going to answer your question though. Use the highest octane available at the pump.

Welcome to the forums, Thalo please delete.
I knew you would come to the dark side eventually!!

That's funny sheit!

·
Registered
137 Posts

post by Fyrefast
'Now, before you all reply about how I am going to ruin my engine, void my warranty, etc, keep in mind, VW said it, I didn't. Also, the elevation where I live is 5200 feet above sea level. The higher you go in elevation, the lower octane is required to prevent knocking. Also, regardless of fuel used, higher elevation means lower oxygen content in the air = less horsepower :("

As a pilot I have 2 things to say. #1 you can buy 100 octane fuel at your local airport. thats what i put in my cessna every day. its around 4.50 a gallon in So Cal. No, you cant just pull up like a normal gas at LAX but at uncontrolled airports like compton and corona you can. #2 yes, it is true that as u go up in altitude u loose oxygen and power, making the maximum service celing of a 4 cylinder 160 horse power cessna around 12,500 feet. (cause at 12,500 feet the air is so thin the engine making like 60hp and and barly fly) But we have turbo...a turbo charged cessna will go well past 20,000 feet because it will continue to produce "sea level power" at altitude.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: 91 Octane gas vs 94 octane gas

REDSPEEDSTER694 said:
As it goes for me i mostly use 91octane but i still feel the knocking once in awhile, as for the brand of gas, all depends were i am in Canada. In the east i like to use ultramar or irving( he got the monopoly out there.) In the west i always try to hit husky, there suppose to be serving 94octane. i noticed less knocking when using 94oct. Although for power i cant really say that i've felt a difference, except maybe for mileage, but thats me. Does anyone know if octane boost is worth purchasing, i've tried it once, cant say if i see a difference. laterz
Using 91 Oct, u still get knocking?? I'm Canada too, and I don't really want to use Sunoco to get 94. I was hoping to stick with Shell V-Power 91...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
i use straight 93, havent risked tryin nething else. The prices difference per tank between 87 and 93 bout 3 bucks (.30cents X 12gallons). So its only the best for my fast

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,221 Posts
I use nothing but shell 93 octane, unless its an emergency and I can't find one b4 I run outa gas.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My vw is apr tuned and i have the 93 octane program. So therefore i have to fuel up 93 octane.
The higher octane the better performance you will recieve from your vw.
It's really up to you though on what you want to feed your baby.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah if you're chipped...definately a good idea to use whatever octane your reflash was designed for...

121 - 140 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.