Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
41 - 60 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: Octane Mixture

Only time I used 89 in my car was during a long roadtrip. Since I had the thing in cruise at 80mph the whole way, performance didn't matter too much. Saved me a few bucks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Octane Mixture

In Indiana, premium 93 is usually 20 cents more than regular 87. I figure my $24,000 investment is worth the extra couple of bucks more it will cost me to use the good stuff.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: Too high of octane??

I wouldn't run anything higher than 93/94 octane that you can get at the corner pump. 100 octane fuels will damage your parts with extended use. The stock engine doesn't have the appropriate components to handle the higher octane in addition to making any extra power with the higher octane.

·
Registered
91 Posts

zulu said:
I wouldn't run anything higher than 93/94 octane that you can get at the corner pump. 100 octane fuels will damage your parts with extended use. The stock engine doesn't have the appropriate components to handle the higher octane in addition to making any extra power with the higher octane.
:heart: for an answer

·
Registered
68 Posts

93/ 94 octane? um.. have you looked in your manual or on the fuel cap inside edge? recomends 98 ron (super unleaded) as thats what the FSI engine is designed to run with - higher octane fuels.

so if i could find 100 i would use it for sure! :)

i'm told that esso super is the best but when i got my chip (revo) the guy set it up for shell optimax and i do notice a slight difference if i use shell instead of say BP ultimate - i never put "regular" in my GTI always 97/98 ron

thats just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
690 Posts

There are two different ratings for measuring octane. RON and PON. The RON (Research Octane Number) is used throughout Europe and ends up being 4-6 points higher than the PON that we use here. The PON (Pump Octane Number), or (R+M)/2 method, is what's used in America.

·
Registered
17 Posts

In spain we use 98 or 95. Due to the constant increase of the fuel prices most of us are starting to use 95. how mucho does fuel costs in usa??? here in spain, 98 around 1,28 euros (1,54$), and 95 around 1,15 euros(1,38$)

·
Registered
112 Posts

chux_SPAIN said:
In spain we use 98 or 95. Due to the constant increase of the fuel prices most of us are starting to use 95. how mucho does fuel costs in usa??? here in spain, 98 around 1,28 euros (1,54$), and 95 around 1,15 euros(1,38$)
you are probably at 1.38-1.54 per liter, right?? we are above 3.00 per gallon here...

·
Registered
17 Posts

yes in spain we use litres, what is the equivalent of a gallon in litres??? I use to hear that fuel was much cheaper in usa than in europe.... nevertheless the fuel price in spain is one of the cheapes of all europe.

·
Registered
690 Posts

chux_SPAIN said:
yes in spain we use litres, what is the equivalent of a gallon in litres??? I use to hear that fuel was much cheaper in usa than in europe.... nevertheless the fuel price in spain is one of the cheapes of all europe.
1 US gallon = 3.8 litres.

41 - 60 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.