Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: octane rating

I used to live in New England and every place I filled up had 93. Most of the northern states I drove through to get from Western Canada to Massachusetts also had 93.

On my old Jetta I noticed the biggest difference going from 87 to 89 and hardly any difference between 89 and 91 or 93. With the GTI it's noticeable. When I first picked it up, it must have been filled with 91 'cause it had a real kick to it. I went on a road trip a couple weeks later, on which I filled up 3 times with 89 and it felt a little less powerful than before. I thought maybe it was because the car was now broken in. I filled up with 91 again after and have ever since and it got its kick back.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: octane rating

It's really only a 5cents/galon difference in the States? It's a 5 cent/L difference here (there's about 4L per galon, so that makes a 20 cent difference), and it's 10 cents from 87 to 91 (or 40 cents/galon).

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: Octane Mixture

Probably a gas jockey union thing. They don't want us "do-it-yourselfers" taking their highly skilled jobs away.

Is the left turn thing like in New Orleans, where you have to first take a right, then do a U-turn every time? That's fucking retarded.

My gas hatch thing says I should use 95, but I think that's European grade gasoline and that's different there. I recall octane levels there all being in the 90s and going as high as 98. I don't think it's equivalent to North American octane ratings though.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

So what's it like when someone who's lived their life in Oregon accidentally pulls into a self-serve only station in Washington? Would they even know what to do? Those laws in OR and NJ are retarded and I'm sure some kind of labor group must be behind it (just using other reasons like salmons and drive-offs to justify it).

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

Only time I used 89 in my car was during a long roadtrip. Since I had the thing in cruise at 80mph the whole way, performance didn't matter too much. Saved me a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: Does anyone run lower ocatane fuel?

Man, the I-90 through upstate NY was just buzzing with speed traps last time I went through there. And apparently they measure your speed from the air too.

I would never put 87 in my engine, not even with my old car. I did use 89 when I first got the car though, cause gas prices were so high and I did notice a performance difference. I use only 91 now.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: Does anyone run lower ocatane fuel?

Wouldn't the fact that it's intended to run under higher pressure make it "better" for a turbocharged engine? I don't know, but I can notice a difference with 91 as opposed to 87. Not just in power, but my engine also "sputters" less when idle.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: Too high of octane??

Canada. Apparently 94 is available some places in the east, but nowhere in the West. Some gas stations don't even have 91. Here 87=regular, 89=mid grade 91=premium

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: Too high of octane??

In Edmonton, Alberta the current price of regular (87) is 84.9 cents/Liter. 91 is ten cents a liter more, so 94.9. Actually, all the gas stations here inflate their prices a bit and make you get a discount card to get the actual market price, so 91 actually costs 91.5 cents/L. 3.8L per gallon, so $3.48Cdn/gal. $.85US/$CAD, so $2.96US/Gallon.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: What Gas Should I use ??????

You'd get a quick response either way. Anyway, I think if you looked at any of the other octane threads you'd see the consensus is to use at least 91.

Merging topic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.