My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Re: octane rating

If I were state-side I'd probably be running 93, but as 91 is the highest we have in Canada, it'll do.

·
Registered
14 Posts

as far as i know 91 is the highest octane in the states. at least in oklahoma. I know there are a few places where you can go to get higher but they usually require a special license, for instance a place that sales 100 octane. Its crazy they just have a single pump out by itself and it has 100 octane.
but most stations carry 91 highest. its usually 87 89 91

·
Registered
398 Posts

Shell's premium fuel is 93 octane. However I have heard it is not necessary to run the 93 octane as most cars will do just fine on the 89. I haven't picked up my GTI yet...picking it up this weekend. But my BMW runs just as well on the 89 octane from shell. Stay away from the BP gas since the cleaning agents in the fuel cause problems over time to fuel injectors, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Both TN and AL carry 87, 89, and 93 as the only octanes available at regualr gas stations (BP, Shell, Exxon, etc.)

·
Registered
6 Posts

I am in California and we have 91 @ 3.49 a gallon. I did go to the dealer and ask again about using 87 or 89 and they said don't. The car will lose performance and miles per gallon. I have the United Gray color, and the car is fantasic. Also look in the Consumers Report for this month and it's the TOP RATED POCKET ROCKET.

·
Registered
690 Posts

Low octane gas in a high compression of forced induction motor can created a condition of early ignition called detontation. When the fuel-air mixture ignites before it's supposed to, the downforce placed on the piston before it completes it's upstroke can cause serious damage to the motor. While this condition is rare, it is a possibility. The motor in the GTI is designed to run best on 91 octane gas.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

I used to live in New England and every place I filled up had 93. Most of the northern states I drove through to get from Western Canada to Massachusetts also had 93.

On my old Jetta I noticed the biggest difference going from 87 to 89 and hardly any difference between 89 and 91 or 93. With the GTI it's noticeable. When I first picked it up, it must have been filled with 91 'cause it had a real kick to it. I went on a road trip a couple weeks later, on which I filled up 3 times with 89 and it felt a little less powerful than before. I thought maybe it was because the car was now broken in. I filled up with 91 again after and have ever since and it got its kick back.

·
Registered
398 Posts

DrJones said:
Low octane gas in a high compression of forced induction motor can created a condition of early ignition called detontation. When the fuel-air mixture ignites before it's supposed to, the downforce placed on the piston before it completes it's upstroke can cause serious damage to the motor. While this condition is rare, it is a possibility. The motor in the GTI is designed to run best on 91 octane gas.
As for the detonation it is rare like you say and cars these days have anti-knock sensors to prevent this from happening. If detonation does happen you will know it's going on...by your fast yelling from under the hood!

I think it's safe to say you can cheap it out at the pump on the mid-grade but you will pay for it in performance. It' depends on how hungry your fast is an how expensive of a dinner you want to buy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Why complain about the gas? The difference between the mid-grade and premium gas is usually only $.05. Even if you have to totally fill up the whole 14.5 gallon tank, the difference in cost is about $.73. No big deal. My fast deserves it. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

It's really only a 5cents/galon difference in the States? It's a 5 cent/L difference here (there's about 4L per galon, so that makes a 20 cent difference), and it's 10 cents from 87 to 91 (or 40 cents/galon).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Its about .10 cents diffrence between octanes here in the Pacific Northwest
I feel no real difference in power between 92 (which is the highest I can get) and 87

·
Registered
146 Posts

We have 91 octane as the highest here in Colorado, and I think I could actually get away with 87 octane due to the altitude and lack of atmospheric pressure here. On the flip side though, I'm not a cheapskate and will pay for the good stuff. I don't buy cheap shoes, generic groceries, or low cost beer so why should I skimp on the go-go juice?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Anybody out there know the difference, performance or octanewise, between Shell V - Power super and Shell Premium 97? Both available in Malaysia but V is at 15% premium pricing.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts