Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what products people use to keep their cars clean. I use mostly McGuires stuff, however, I found a line of products called 1Z, or EinZet out of Germany. Their vinyl and rubber cleaner and conditioner is the best I've ever used. It makes the tires look new, not shiny and plastic looking. Their leather cleaner/conditioner is also top notch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The owner of a local upholstery shop recomends using lemon pledge for the dash. Says it has plenty of uv protection and provides moisture to the plastics to help prevent cracking. It doesn't leave a big shine either.

·
Registered
398 Posts
vwgti20v said:
I use mothers or maguiars for car wash and wax. as far as leather cleaner I use this stuff http://www.lexol.com/moreinfoph.html. I don't like using stuff on my dash though, I like the matte finish of VW's dash. Just a wet wash cloth for that.
I have used that product before and have had good success with it. I came across in the aviation industry - got a box of it free if I remember correctly. Good stuff.

clavos said:
The owner of a local upholstery shop recomends using lemon pledge for the dash. Says it has plenty of uv protection and provides moisture to the plastics to help prevent cracking. It doesn't leave a big shine either.
Haven't heard of that one. Learned something new today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For interior, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant . I've also used Lexon. Both are excellent.

I use Invisible Glass for the glass

Zaino for exterior

I don't put anything on my tires. I do use Zaino on the wheels. It seems that they are easier to clean after using it.

To dry my car I use the Absorber. I've tried about everything else. Good microfiber towels are a close second but once they get real wet they are junk. To clean my wheels and the front of my grill I use a leaf blower that I bought for $20 from Sears.

Every Armor All product is crap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Eagle One carnuba wax, Armor All on the dash, Scotchgard on the interior, Febreze for the scent, black magic for the engine and eagle one never dull on the tailpipe. I even wax my headlight covers, yes Im that anal.

·
Registered
321 Posts
indygti said:
I even wax my headlight covers, yes Im that anal.
You think that's anal? I use Rain-X on every piece of glass on my car (all windows, mirrors, sunroof, etc). Then I use Fog-X on the interior of the windshield. I use Nu Finish on the outside painted surfaces, all light covers, and VW emblems. For my wheels, I wash them with a long brush that will reach all the way through to the back side of the wheels. Then I roll the car about a foot or so to get the part where the caliper is in the way. Then I wax them with Wheel Wax. Also, when I rotate my tires every 10,000 miles I give the wheels a good thorough cleaning and waxing. As for the engine bay, everything gets washed and all the plastics and rubber get coated with Nu Finish Vinyl Protectant, as well as all the black plastic trim on the outside of the car.

I could go on and on and on... But I'm not sure if anyone wants to hear exactly how I clean the inside and undercarriage. Just to give you an idea about how anal I am with the interior, it involves lots of Q-tips and a toothbrush.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use the liquid polish. It seems to work really well. However, if you get sap or stubborn bugs on your Fast you may want to use an actual "cleaner wax" before polishing. I do this occasionally then buff it really well before applying the polish. The paint looks great and repels water wonderfully.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use mostly Mothers products for wax and for stubborn bugs on the front i use a wet fabric softener sheet before i wash it and they come right off, this is a trick i learned from my dad who does it on his 5th wheel camper on the front side because off all the bugs he gets while pulling it and it is amazing and doesn't hurt the paint at all. i'm still trying to find something good for the interior and i think i'm gonna try the fog-x on the interior windows because i have a very hard time with my windows fogging up.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hmm fabric softener sheet............

Here is what I picked up today for $90

* a new plastic bin
* microfiber wash mit (Simoniz)
* 3 medium microfiber towels (Micotex)
* car wash (Meguiars Gold Class)
* wheel wax (Mother's Aluminum Polish - couldn't find Wheel Wax)
* tire polish (Meguirars Gold Class - applied with a foam applicator for control)
* glass cleaner (Invisible Glass)
* wax (Nu Finish liquid wax)

I will give this stuff a try, and hope it lasts a while. The car has a butter smooth feel right now, so the dealer's detailer did a good job. I will wax it in a month or two. I didn't get anything for the exterior vinyl, and I don't like using anything on the interior surfaces either - just damp clothes. Thanks for all the tips O0

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah i know it was kinda strange using a fabric softener sheet on my car and if you can get over the scent of it and the fact that it is a strange technique i can tell you that it really does work. I just made a weekend trip from Northern Ill. down to Tennessee an 8 hour drive each way and i got covered in bugs and its gonna need it tomorrow.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Anyone know what to use to get the scuffs off the sides of the seat and door bases? It seems impossible not to hit the seat or door with your shoe when getting in and out. They are not deep scuffs, but stubborn.

·
Registered
842 Posts
uncle dude said:
Anyone know what to use to get the scuffs off the sides of the seat and door bases? It seems impossible not to hit the seat or door with your shoe when getting in and out. They are not deep scuffs, but stubborn.
BUMP

·
Registered
181 Posts
uncle dude said:
uncle dude said:
BUMP
Elbow grease and a damp rag is the best I can come up with, and still can't get it back to like new. I've got a scuff on the stock side skirt too, but I'm probably the only person that would ever notice it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts