Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GTI 2003 1.8t that is fully stock. My clutch is going out and needs to be replaced. I took it into volkswagen and they said that they could replace it for $2,100. So... my cousin who is a mechanic is going to help me with changing the clutch when i get the correct parts for it. Can someone help me with what clutch to buy for my car? Thanks!

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i pm'ed you

and recommend ecs tuning clutch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry volcano... i just signed up on this site yesterday and am still trying to figure out how to navigate i guess. But i did just read your reply now. Thank you so much.... does the weight of the flywheel matter? Seems like a really good price for the whole clutch kit with the flywheel. Thank you so much for your response. Someone at a mechanic shop near me was telling me that i needed to make sure that i knew what engine number and chassis number i had to make sure that i got the correct clutch kit and or flywheel... do you know anything about that?

Do you or anyone else know of any online walkthroughs for changing the clutches?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohh... a bigger turbo would be nice and i would love that but i dont have the money for that yet and am willing to wait for awhile till that becomes a reality.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
the link i gave you is the right one, no different clutch unless you got a 6spd

the weight of the flywheel does not matter.

the less weight the better IMO, less rotating mass means it revs up quicker

but it will make a little noise, flywheel chatter during idle but thats nothing to worry about

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i know

thanks

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
he dose not need that much of a performance clutch

he still stock as far as i know and does not plan on going BT any time soon

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
southbend makes stages 1-5 just like most other companies they just offer a superior product so the stage one would be the same perf wise regardless of company, just a better all around product

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
oooohhhh ok

well it up to him to decide which one to get

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was looking on southbends site but i think that it is down right now. I am just looking for the most basic thing because i am not planning on getting a bigger turbo which makes me want to get this... http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Drivetrain/Clutch/ES125/

assuming that you guys have done the work yourselves, have you guys run into any problems with changing the clutch? are there anythings that i need to be aware of that are out of the ordinary? any walk-throughs online somewhere??

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
trans removal is a pita plan on your car being down for a bit the first time you go through it, you need torx bits and an assortment of sockets, jacks, jack stands, beer and patience

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
D. Light... check on all of those. especially the Beer! I am lucky that i live in the city that has the most micro-breweries per capita in the world! booya!

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
damn lucky but you may spend more on beer then a clutch.. just sayin, and have something to tie around the trans and a way to keep it from hittin the ground when you pull it, 80 pounds isn't alot but for just your fingertips it gets sketchy don't be afraid to be rough with it, its not gonna want to come out but it needs to and don't leave it out to long or your pass motor mount will start to settle and thats a whole new ball game puttin it back in any questions post up

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
damn lucky but you may spend more on beer then a clutch.. just sayin, and have something to tie around the trans and a way to keep it from hittin the ground when you pull it, 80 pounds isn't alot but for just your fingertips it gets sketchy don't be afraid to be rough with it, its not gonna want to come out but it needs to and don't leave it out to long or your pass motor mount will start to settle and thats a whole new ball game puttin it back in any questions post up
yes dont be afraid to get rough.

i was taking it easy on the vr trans that i was taking out of the passat. after like 2hrs of bitching with it

i got angry and got it out in 5 min. a long pry bar helps too

i did my 1.8T on a lift with a trans jack so it was much easier then doing the vr on the floor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts