Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
It doesn't matter what chip you use. The intake is going to perform regardless of the brand of chip. I would say your best bet is PROBABLY APR simply because many APR dealers are also Carbonio dealers as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Update: Got my appointment set-up to get my APR ECU reflash tomorrow, and I'll be picking up the Carbonio at the shop as well!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Got my APR flash and the Carbonio...it's so sweet! I love it, absolutely money well spent. The difference in torque throughout the powerband is insane. A lot better than what i was expecting. Plus, the Carbonio gives really good throttle response improvement. It's so nice to deal with it all at the same shop too. Definitely recommend!

·
Registered
42 Posts
So the intake from what I have been reading just changes the power band and smooths out the power band not so much an increas in power.

are there any issues with weather, like sucking in rain water or anything like that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah I would guess water getting sucked through there could really f things up. Are you using the Carbonio? what do you do in bad weather to keep it from happening? I also live in Sothern CA so It's not a big problem, but still a little worried about it.

I am using the APR chip so I figure the Carbonio CAI is the way to go

·
Registered
197 Posts
using, something injen cooked up, a lot like neuspeed, its a mr. technology CAI. it's all the same. ya i forget whwy waters bad but it is.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Water's bad because it gets sucked up through the CAI and causes hydrolock (bye engine). Any car is susceptible to hydrolock, but those with CAI are moreso because the intake is located closer to the ground and generally has a more free-flowing design (allowing water to make its way to the engine easier). I've heard that you don't really need to worry about it too much unless you drive through a deep puddle (sucking up the water) or drive in heavy heavy rain for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
thanks for that explanation. That carbon fiber looks really cool. Mayby there is something i can get adapted for bad weather contitions for the Carbonio?

What about at like a car wash or something? I know some places flush water under the car. that sounds bad.

I don't know if the small gain in proformance is worth the risk, it's somethin I guess I have to think about.

Sorry if these questions seem kind of lame this is my first turbo I want to get every thing right.

me and my dad had a twin t 300 zx as kind of a play car but we left it mostly stock

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
you will almost never hydrolock unless you have a full CAI (example:Neuspeed P-Flo WITH racing extension). i live in florida and have the Neuspeed P-Flo without the racing extention and as many of you know it rains pretty damn hard in florida. i really would not worry about it unless you want drive through a lake. the carbonio intake especially is really just like the stock intake on the car. not too big of a difference between them mechanically besides a better filter.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i dont have a weather strip in my hood because i have a sebon one, and rain and washs never affect it, never will have to worry about it, and thanks everyone igot a bit samrter today

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
GTfly said:
you will almost never hydrolock unless you have a full CAI (example:Neuspeed P-Flo WITH racing extension). i live in florida and have the Neuspeed P-Flo without the racing extention and as many of you know it rains pretty damn hard in florida. i really would not worry about it unless you want drive through a lake. the carbonio intake especially is really just like the stock intake on the car. not too big of a difference between them mechanically besides a better filter.
If I lived in FL- I would be concerned w/ the race extension.

A little water vapor in the intake is not going to kill you or the engine. It would take a sh*tload of energy to suck a water column up with the race extension to cause hydro lock. I'd be interested to hear what the folks at Neuspeed have to say- as far as occurances of hydro lock with either system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks I feel better.

I would imagine that even with the stock intake a small amount of water vapor could pulled in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts