Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
There a few thousand similar products you can get on ebay for a small fraction of that price. Granted, they usually come in a much simpler version (ie without the performance-level selector.) Now, since this company does claim that it uses multiple sensor outputs to improve performance, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that some questions need to be asked. All most of these 'chips' do is to either increase or decrease the signal coming from the intake air temperature sensor. I have to wonder if their 'triad of operating parameters' includes IAT, MAF, and maybe O2 sensor? The basic principle is to trick the engine's ECU into thinking that more oxygen is entering the manifold than what really is. In response to this faked signal, the ECU causes more fuel to enter the mix.

Now for the moral of the story; I haven't dared to try one of these products yet. It's a fairly simple idea with a little merit. Now with this particular brand, ask yourself; 'If it's a safe concept, then why are there two levels to choose from? Why not just have the higher performance with no low-gain option? Why pay $180 from this company when you could get the same thing on ebay for $5 + shipping. Better yet, why pay at all when you could just invest a little time learning the specifics of these sensors, and a very little time learning about electricity, then get yourself a couple simple resistors from RadioShack for a couple cents each? ' Because that's all it would take to do the same exact thing. In fact, I'm willing to bet that's exactly what you'll find in almost every one of these products--plastic case, a resistor or two, and some colorful wires.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
eBay can mislead you pretty nicely. yes everything is cheaper but its not guaranteed to fit or perform how it should... its risky.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've personally seen 4.7k resistors being sent out. I had a friend who likes to order silly things like that off ebay.

I don't really think this is the best way to be altering your timing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts