Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 2006 gti apr stage 2. it started making this weird sucking noise (not from the intake). then i had it looked at by some mechanics and they said the turbo was leaking. im getting it sent out to be rebuilt. but do you think that is where the noise came from? it almost sounded like my bov was stuck open? i have no clue, any help?!

thanks
emerson

·
Registered
629 Posts
His sig shows that he has a DV. In which case you would hear the noise coming from your intake if it was the DV. Hard to say for sure if it was the turbo without testing your boost system. Sounds like that's what your shop may have done, hopefully.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why do you have a BOV on a mk5 to begin with??

and you could have a blown turbo
yeah whats wrong with a blow off valve? and im assuming the turbo is blown. i mean the thing can still make boost? can blown turbos even do that? lol

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
yeah whats wrong with a blow off valve? and im assuming the turbo is blown. i mean the thing can still make boost? can blown turbos even do that? lol
well the BOV doesn't circulate the air back into the intake. It throws the pressure out to the atmosphere. The car was made to run the DV not a BOV, I however, do not know the specifics.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Blown turbos can still make boost not as much but they can still do it...

And search for bov on mk5 I'm not going into details right now

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blown turbos can still make boost not as much but they can still do it...

And search for bov on mk5 I'm not going into details right now
oh **** my bad, i meant the spacer. but alright, im assuming thats where that noise is coming from?

when i bought the car, the guy said it used to be making up to about 22 pounds until he blew his dv, once he replaced it it was only making 17-18 pounds. im assuming he blew the turbo then? cause when i had it during summer time, i thought it was normal. but then when winter came, it drove like crap. i dont know if the winter climate had anything to do with it? but im just assuming he blew the turbo when he blew the dv. i just overnighted my turbo to turbochargers.com, so i wonder if im gonna be making more boost when i get it back

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
oh **** my bad, i meant the spacer. but alright, im assuming thats where that noise is coming from?

when i bought the car, the guy said it used to be making up to about 22 pounds until he blew his dv, once he replaced it it was only making 17-18 pounds. im assuming he blew the turbo then? cause when i had it during summer time, i thought it was normal. but then when winter came, it drove like crap. i dont know if the winter climate had anything to do with it? but im just assuming he blew the turbo when he blew the dv. i just overnighted my turbo to turbochargers.com, so i wonder if im gonna be making more boost when i get it back
Get it vag com

Sometimes it throws codes without a light

·
Registered
629 Posts
Let us know what happens with the rebuilt turbo. When you put it in, I'd run a pressure test through your boost system to test it for leaks. I'd get rid of the spacer, but that's just me. You'll get enough of that blow off sound through your intake.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
also get oil on the lower boost hose and ic

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would look at everything else before I rebuilt a turbo. usually turbo failures lead to a smokey exhaust because the oil leaks from the turbine bearing.
I was thinking the same thing, but he said he already had it sent out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i already sent it out, ill let you guys know what happens,it should be back within a week.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
That's gotta be a pricey venture. I have to ask... Why didn't you just pick up a K04 instead of rebuilding your K03s? It'd be about the same price for a 30% power increase overall.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im not too sure what i have consider i bought the like it is. i was told from someone that i had a ko4? but you know how dumb people are..

it only costs 275 for the rebuild, thats not too bad

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
That's not a bad price at all. Iwas quoted like 500 to rebuild mine with performance bearings.

Do you have any dyno numbers or a boost gauge? It's a good idea to know what you've got under the hood and we could determine that if you know your HP/TQ range and or boost pressure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's not a bad price at all. Iwas quoted like 500 to rebuild mine with performance bearings.

Do you have any dyno numbers or a boost gauge? It's a good idea to know what you've got under the hood and we could determine that if you know your HP/TQ range and or boost pressure.
i havent personally had it dyno'd myself yet, the but on my boost gauge it was hitting 18.. but my turbo i guess has been all jacked up since i had gotten the car 6 months ago.

they are tearing down my turbo tomorow morning, and they are gonna let me know what else i might need if i need anything, ill keep you posted tomorow when i find out

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so im pretty sure my wategate actuator is bad.. im thinking about ordering the forge wastegate actuator with the yellow springs which puts out 9 to 12 psi, compared to the stock where it 7 to 10.

what do you guys think about this? and ill get a couple extra pounds of boost in the end

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
so im pretty sure my wategate actuator is bad.. im thinking about ordering the forge wastegate actuator with the yellow springs which puts out 9 to 12 psi, compared to the stock where it 7 to 10.

what do you guys think about this? and ill get a couple extra pounds of boost in the end
if your not tuned your car will see over boost andv throw you in limp so youll be at 5 lbs :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
if your not tuned your car will see over boost andv throw you in limp so youll be at 5 lbs :)
He's Stg 2. Have you looked into the N75 yet? That is the wastegate actuator that flutteres the WG based on vaccum and boost. If it's sticking (which can occur in higher milage cars) then replace the N75 first. If the WG is STILL sticking get a new WG.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts