Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to post this topic to help anyone I can. Last week I got into a car accident (it wasn't with fast, I drive a Lexus GX truck). Well the air bag deployed and at the time everything was ok. I didn't even face plant into it. Well with pain and long story short, I have the surgery Tuesday morning. It seems that airbag caught my thumb and snapped it back. The surgery will reattach the ligaments, and I will be then in cast to heal for 6 weeks and then rehab after that. I was ready to go to VW dealer and grab my fast in a week when this happened. Maybe I will when cast comes off, that should cheer me up. ANYWAY, when your driving keep thumbs to outside of the steering wheel, cause that airbag could catch it by mistake.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Damn that sucks... but how would you (safely) drive without your thumbs inside the ring of the wheel?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, maybe it's a question of, either all in or all out, if thumb is on spokes of wheel that could do it....... it's also a matter of in a real bad accident and airbag catches your face before windshield or dash, then they're great, but in this instance it did more damage than good, maybe just a fluke....

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
If I got into a major accident that involved deploying of airbag, my thumbs would be of little concern.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thalo, sad part for me, wasn't even clore to being major accident. everyone else drove away, my face or no other part of upper body needed it, car just hit right to set sensor off. I agree, if I needed them and it caught my face prior to hitting the glass, GREAT, I'll happily sacrifice those thumbs..... maybe it makes a better argument taht I should give up the truck, and drive a fast with better reflexes to AVOID those accidents!

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I heard the same thing a while back. I'm sorta paranoid so I always drive with my thumbs on the steering wheel instead of on the inside. I hope the recovery goes well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so surgery wa Tues. much pain, only typing with one hand.

i f the doctor told me the whole story I might have just lived wth the injury. couple of weeks and i should get the hand back, i'll keep u posted

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thalo said:
If I got into a major accident that involved deploying of airbag, my thumbs would be of little concern.
I could give up my left thumb but I use my right one to cock the hammer on my magnum.

·
Registered
573 Posts
jgo said:
Thalo said:
I could give up my left thumb but I use my right one to cock the hammer on my magnum.
Does everything have to come back to yur fucking gun!?!?!?! What are you compensating for?

Buy a double action there Wyatt Erp. No thumb needed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Gunny said:
jgo said:
Thalo said:
Does everything have to come back to yur fucking gun!?!?!?! What are you compensating for?

Buy a double action there Wyatt Erp. No thumb needed.
Get a grip, Gunny. You and I don't have a beef. I was caught up in my fun and got carried away. Funny. About the time you posted this, I was having breakfast with a friend who happens to be the great, great grandson of James Earp, the quiet brother.

Now back to the story -- Thumbs Up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.