Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told my salesman I needed to stop and get some Xymol on the way home. He told me that I should wait about 2 months before applying a coat of wax, as their was a protective clear coat applied before delivery. He said it should be worn down and ready to wax in about 6-8 weeks. I've had 9 cars or so, and this is news to me.

Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I waited about a month but it was more a matter of oppertunity than anything else. I used thinner to strip anything off that may have been on there and then applied a teflon paint sealant. I shouldn't say I did it, I had a detailer at work do it for me. Sometime this spring, I'll hand wax it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
IFlyS5 said:
I told my salesman I needed to stop and get some Xymol on the way home. He told me that I should wait about 2 months before applying a coat of wax, as their was a protective clear coat applied before delivery. He said it should be worn down and ready to wax in about 6-8 weeks. I've had 9 cars or so, and this is news to me.

Anyone else heard of this?
I have heard of having the paint cure and clear coat harden up before. Not sure how much truth there is to it considering from the time it was painted and the time it takes to get into your garage is usually a couple months. Check the inside of the driver door to see when your fast was born.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The dealer detailed and hand waxed mine before I took it off of the lot. I think that the waxing rule is mostly just for using a rotary waxer. When I worked at a detail shop we got an oops project from a paintshop accross the street. Some dumba$$ took a rotary waxer to a freshly painted hood. Most likely had only been cured for one day. We tried for the better part of a day by hand to fix it. Needless to say no amount of wax stripper or polish could buff all of the scratches and paint warp out. He had to repaint the hood out of his own pocket. Anyway, I digress, if a hard/liquid wax is applied by hand and you don't use excessive force to rub it on and buff it off you should be fine. On the safe side I used a spray on wax with a microfiber towel on my GTI. The microfiber towel to buff it off is very important. An old t-shirt is not microfiber and will create swirls even if the wax or polish says no swirling!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't think the dealer does a fantastic job on the pre-delivery cleaning. Every time I buy a new car I will spend a whole day re-cleaning. I apply a good wax and use a stain protector on the fabric, use silicone based protectant for all the rubber gaskets and what not, treat the leather with a moisturizer, etc...

Anyway, as MattMan mentioned, your choice of applicator and buffing material is very important. Use something soft and CLEAN! For example, if you're washing your car and you drop the sponge, don't just pick it up and keep washing. Rinse it and wash it until you're absolutely sure there is no contaminant remaining. Also, it is important to wax your car immediatley after washing it. Don't wait a few hours or do it the next day. I once saw a guy waxing his car after a thick layer of pollen had settled on it. He was just buffing that yellow dust right into his paint. I almost cried but it was a honda so I didn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts