Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seen that VW is useing the same head lights and tail lights for more than 1 car. like the same head lights that i have on my GTI also come on the GLI, Jetta, and Rabbit and a few more i think. WHY is this are they tryin to save money.?

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's fairly normal. I'm pretty sure every auto company tries to share as many parts as possible accross models, mostly to save money. Hell, most of the time major models share a mojority of structural parts, with just a change to body work. i.e. Jetta and Golf/Rabbit, and probably the Passat.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
The MkV GTI and GLI are more similar than they have been since the MkI generation. All the Jetta really was, to start out with, was a Rabbit/Golf with a trunk. And that's how it should be. After the MkII generation they kind of strayed apart design-wise but now they're together again, at least in some form.

They also share the chassis and engine with the Audi A3 2.0T.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea but VW the only company useing the same head lights and tail lights for more than 1 car. can u name another.....?

·
Registered
263 Posts
well jetta and golf are pretty much the same car, as much as i hate to compare my car to a vajetta

its like saying a4 sedan and a4 wagon use same parts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I think thats a good idea. In the long run, if you have a headlight or tail light that goes out then you will pay less (in theory) for a replacement since they would have to make more to cover the replacements that come up. If you have a car that only takes a certain type of replacement and only a limited amount of those cars are made then you will pay more for replacement parts. Thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Jettas are nice, at least they're VW.

And man those passats are nice!....they feel more luxorious than my Pkg 2 BM...not nearly as sporty tho.

·
Registered
137 Posts
134GTI said:
yea but VW the only company useing the same head lights and tail lights for more than 1 car. can u name another.....?
the VW salesmen driving me back to pick up my GTI from VW today, said the A3 is just like my car only heavy and more expensive.
And yes I can name other company using the same head lights and tail lights for more than 1 car. Ford, my 95 ford ranger had the same head lights and tail lights as my girl friends 98 ford explorer. also these would be the same head/ tail lights that would fit on a madza pick up truck from 94 to 99. Chevrolet , my 66 malibu had the same head lights as my dads 65 el camino, those lights would fit any 64-67 malibu, chevelle, El Camino, Nova, or impala.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts