Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called the dealer today to schedule a 10k service and I was told that I will have to be a little patient during the time of the service coz they have this new software that will make my GTIs acceleration better. His exact words are "your car is not a GTI but after we're done with it it's going to be a real GTI". Mmmm I don't know if this guy in the service dept. is BSing me or maybe he's just exagerating but if they can make my GTI better than what it is right now without aftermarket mods I guess that will do till I am really ready for the real thing (chip,Tb exhaust, AI).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
I've heard about this too. Dunno if it's any different though. Guess you'll have to wait and see. If it is indeed a difference then I'd be interested in having mine looked at too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just called today and have the service scheduled this coming Friday. I'll let you guys informed till then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
as a matter of fact i just had my o2 sensor replaced, which they had to order....when i asked if i could take the car home till the sensor came in they said that they also needed to do an update to my computer!!! :D Finally when they returned the car back to me the paper work stated that they did an ECM update....call me crazy but my car feels like its running much harder and with more power! Mabills2 I dont think they were Bsing you! keep in mind guys my fast is stock so i definitely think this update did something!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info fastmena23. i'll try not to get carried away after the service coz if i am unfortunate enough and get a speeding ticket here in VA it may cost me atleast 1K for the fees. O0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
FaStMeNa23 said:
as a matter of fact i just had my o2 sensor replaced, which they had to order....when i asked if i could take the car home till the sensor came in they said that they also needed to do an update to my computer!!! :D Finally when they returned the car back to me the paper work stated that they did an ECM update....call me crazy but my car feels like its running much harder and with more power! Mabills2 I dont think they were Bsing you! keep in mind guys my fast is stock so i definitely think this update did something!
Can you ask the service department exactly what the update is / was? That would be awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Ok nvm on the ECU upgrade i called one the dealer and they guy told me the upgrade is for the the radio cuz sometimes the bass would jump watts. He said its nothing to due with performance. Maybe ur cars are tuned up nice now so they are driving good. New oil helps lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
The ECU upgrade is for the 2006 mkv models. I'm pretty sure. Its called the OY upgrade. I have to get mine done. I heard from some ppl it added some power but others had nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I have a 06 gti but the guy said there was nothing. If the guy is lying to me then i got screwed over. But if anyone else knows somethin like "code" numbers it would help me out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
well my fast is an 07 and when i got it 3 weeks ago I had no issue with the radios bass level! Anyways the guys for some reason also did a "vacumn leak check" When asked how they do this they told me it was being done after they updated my computer to make sure I had no boost leaks, the procedure they use is that they inject the system with nitrogen gas, if there is a leak they can detect it! Call me crazy but wouldnt the only reason that the dealer would check for boost leak is if the new update was going to give me a little more power???? Keep in mind guys all I went in for was an o2 sensor and I knew this since I had the car checked on my buddies diag reader! Anyways now im curious and im going to get in touch with the dealership and see what this ECM update is all about!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I think that if this is true that it is pretty neat. They let your car break in thoughroly(Spell?) and then give you more power to use. The idea would be great but it does sound a little misterious. THe only real way to tell is if they tell you they do it and you had a dyno to see the results! O0 Well, i dont have my gti yet but when i do, I will figure this all out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Im picking mine up in a couple of hours so ill see if theres a change. i have 20k on my car so if there was an upgrade maybethey already did it awhie ago
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
paintballman said:
I think that if this is true that it is pretty neat. They let your car break in thoughroly(Spell?) and then give you more power to use. The idea would be great but it does sound a little misterious.
Triumph has done something similar with their bikes ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,563 Posts
mabilis2 said:
thanks for the info fastmena23. i'll try not to get carried away after the service coz if i am unfortunate enough and get a speeding ticket here in VA it may cost me atleast 1K for the fees. O0
3 payments of $395 for DMV fee's plus the fine for your ticket. Sucks balls doesn't it? Where about do you live? I'm in the 7 cities area myself.

Wish I could get my ecu *updated* stupid mkiv's... lol
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top