Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are having problems with codes P0455 or P0456, P0171 and any P0300+ codes (misfire codes), I HAVE A SOLUTION FOR YOUR PROBLEM (for around $25.00).

If you are getting the P0455 code, it is likely to cause the other codes mentioned above to trigger. I'll explain why in just a moment.

First, if you are having any combination of the following symptoms along with the P0455 or P0456 codes, I have the solution to your problem below.

SYMPTOMS: - Difficulty Starting vehicle (especially after refueling!!!)
- Rough Idle
- Poor engine performance
- Failed emissions test

PROBLEM: - EVAP system is leaking air (P0455) into the engine causing your fuel/air mixture ratio to be altered (P0171), thus causing engine misfires (P0300, P0301, P0302, etc.). If you are having the same exact problems as me, you are dealing with a faulty Purge Valve.

SOLUTION: - REPLACE PURGE VALVE!!! All aforementioned codes and symptoms can be attributed to a faulty purge valve. The purge valve opens and closes periodically as you drive to allow the harmful fumes that have been filtered in your charcoal canister to be recycled through your engine and out of your exhaust to minimize emissions and maximize the use of the air in your gas tank. Sometimes, the purge valve just poops out. Sometimes, a piece of charcoal from the canister makes it into the purge valve, causing the valve itself to get stuck open!!! This allows a constant stream of air into your engine (even when the valve is supposed to be closed), causing the P0455 or P0456. This air mixes into your intake with the already present air/fuel mixture and will throw a P0171 code. That code means 'too much air, too little fuel' which will obviously cause your engine to fire out of time, and then you'll start getting engine misfire codes like P0300, P0301, P0302 and so on. The purge valve for a GTI costs around $25.00 and only takes about 15-30 minutes to replace yourself!

For anyone dealing with the issue, it can be a real head scratcher. It was for me. I had to spend time researching this to the max before I put two and two together and figured out the most likely cause. I would recommend just buying the purge valve online or from your local auto parts store for $25.00 and doing the work yourself. It will save you the $50-$75+ in labor costs, and it's pretty easy for anyone who has every done simple maintenance like oil changes, tire rotation and such. Just look up "purge valve replacement" or "purge valve removal" online, and there are plenty of helpful videos on how to do this.

Then, simply disconnect the negative battery connector from the battery terminal, leave it off for about 30 seconds, pop it back on and - VIOLA!!! Codes cleared and problem solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are having problems with codes P0455 or P0456, P0171 and any P0300+ codes (misfire codes), I HAVE A SOLUTION FOR YOUR PROBLEM (for around $25.00).

If you are getting the P0455 code, it is likely to cause the other codes mentioned above to trigger. I'll explain why in just a moment.

First, if you are having any combination of the following symptoms along with the P0455 or P0456 codes, I have the solution to your problem below.

SYMPTOMS: - Difficulty Starting vehicle (especially after refueling!!!)
- Rough Idle
- Poor engine performance
- Failed emissions test

PROBLEM: - EVAP system is leaking air (P0455) into the engine causing your fuel/air mixture ratio to be altered (P0171), thus causing engine misfires (P0300, P0301, P0302, etc.). If you are having the same exact problems as me, you are dealing with a faulty Purge Valve.

SOLUTION: - REPLACE PURGE VALVE!!! All aforementioned codes and symptoms can be attributed to a faulty purge valve. The purge valve opens and closes periodically as you drive to allow the harmful fumes that have been filtered in your charcoal canister to be recycled through your engine and out of your exhaust to minimize emissions and maximize the use of the air in your gas tank. Sometimes, the purge valve just poops out. Sometimes, a piece of charcoal from the canister makes it into the purge valve, causing the valve itself to get stuck open!!! This allows a constant stream of air into your engine (even when the valve is supposed to be closed), causing the P0455 or P0456. This air mixes into your intake with the already present air/fuel mixture and will throw a P0171 code. That code means 'too much air, too little fuel' which will obviously cause your engine to fire out of time, and then you'll start getting engine misfire codes like P0300, P0301, P0302 and so on. The purge valve for a GTI costs around $25.00 and only takes about 15-30 minutes to replace yourself!

For anyone dealing with the issue, it can be a real head scratcher. It was for me. I had to spend time researching this to the max before I put two and two together and figured out the most likely cause. I would recommend just buying the purge valve online or from your local auto parts store for $25.00 and doing the work yourself. It will save you the $50-$75+ in labor costs, and it's pretty easy for anyone who has every done simple maintenance like oil changes, tire rotation and such. Just look up "purge valve replacement" or "purge valve removal" online, and there are plenty of helpful videos on how to do this.

Then, simply disconnect the negative battery connector from the battery terminal, leave it off for about 30 seconds, pop it back on and - VIOLA!!! Codes cleared and problem solved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts