Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in for the 10,000mi maintence and i asked hey turn off my DRLS off for me and they fixed the airbag disabled error. He did the maintence 1 1/2 hrs..... fixed air bag light and the sensors rewire bullentin 1 1/2 hours. Turned off drls but this is where the story begins.... He did his coding check and erased the wrong codes which pretty much fed up my whole car... car wouldnt start, back lights wouldnt work, head lights wouldnt work. I waited 2 more hrs for them to try to fix it and they couldnt. So they gave me a rent car jetta 2.5. I had the car over night into the next day until 5pm and my car was rdy. I picked it up and drove it to my gfs work to drop it off and pick up my BMW and went home. She called me up around 10pm saying "please open the garage" as usual. I walked outside to notice wow no tail lights working AGAIN!! So i brung it back this morning saying the break lights wont work. They had it for a good 5 hrs again and never called me. So i called them up and they said its rdy. I pick it up and notice the truck lights next to the main lights wernt on. So this is the question... Since i never really looked at the back while breaking... Does the inner trunk lights turn on red with the outer lights... Meaning when u press the breaks do you see 2 red rings or 4. Please someone take a picture with the breaks on so i can print it out to prove they need to be on if this is the case. They said the inner ones dont come on but i swear they do. Thanks to anyone who can answer this. Vw said inner trunk lights are only reverse lights. Mine dont come on at all. THANKS

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Sorry Scott, but your dealer is telling the truth. I was just checking this out the other night. I backed into a parking space there was a reflective window behind me and I tested this out. Outer lights: braking/signaling. Inner: Reverse only.

Tell Ashley to have fun with her GTI now that it's fixed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cool, i was hoping not to drive to sanford. Thx for the help. Its kinda weird i think the gti would look badass with the 4 red rings. thx!

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean. That was the whole reason why I decided to test it out since i could see the tail lights from my rear view. I was thinking how badass it would look... I was a little disappointed when only the outside rings where lit... :(

I wonder if there's a way to modify this so it will all light up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jon the tech who worked on your car was simply trying to do you a favor by turning off the daytime running lights. You asked me several times over the last few weeks to do it for you and I checked several times myself to see if it could be done with the factory scan tool. It cant as the option has been removed from the system. It could probably be done quite easily with vag com but we aint allowed to have it here. I also told you that if the next tool update allowed it again I would call you. Jon was obveously not aware of this so when he recoded it the body electrical system controle module it froze. Probably because he was trying a backdoor function that had been removed from the main menu. Ordinarily that would not have been a problem but an online coding couldnt be done as the server in Aubern Hills was down. So having tried to help you and failed we provided you with a car to drive until we could make it right. Recoding it the next day returned it to stock settings and we returned the car to you. Sorry for trying to help out! Oh and by the way there are no bulbs for the outer rings on the trunk lights.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well shouldn't the techs be aware that they can't do this function, since they stated they could I was out of a car for awhile and was not offered a spare car for my time being wasted. I have quite a few friends also who have had the DRL's turned off by aristocrat so i'm not sure why your service dept can't do this. I hope you inform the other techs so this doesn't happen to anyone else, since your service dept is tight on giving out spare cars if you are there for more the 6 hours.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW are you the service manager? If so i have a question. Ever since then, my idles been funky and the car shakes at idle + it feels like it was gonna stall. And at start up it goes to 750 then 1000 then up and down again. I dont remember it doing this before. [help]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude we have four loaners here and we had to give every effort to fix the issue before putting you in one. As it happened another customer came back with one and we were able to put you in it. Should the techs know not to do it? It isnt published in any tech bulletin and the last time he tried it it worked. VW legal department makes those changes and may never tell us about them. If another dealer is doing it they are using vag com on a lap top which we dont have. I tried it with your car myself and it didnt work, so you tried it with the next guy and here we are. Like I said before, Jon tried to help out and it went wrong, again sorry for any time wasted but how much do you think I lost as a business when a tech spent four hours messing with a problem he and you created. Have I mentioned we were never going to charge you to do it. The reflash they did to the vehicle electrical system controle module should not change idle charecteristics in any way but by all means bring it in and we will check it out for you.
Yes, for my sins they made me the service manager.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts