Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know there's a topic for the GTI vs. the SS already, but hear me out. They just announced today that in the 2nd half of next year, they are turbocharging the SS, instead of a supercharger, bringing it up to 260hp... so I thought there needed to be a separate topic for this new kind of beast that will give us a run for our money. They even set a record for the fastest lap in a FWD coupe on the Nürburgring, which is no small feat.

Here's a full press release, or something like it: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/28/officially-official-2008-chevy-cobalt-ss-bows-at-sema/

Turbo, Brembo brakes, boost gauge, oh my!

It will most definitely be faster, but it still has a weird stigma about it... what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
how much will this beast of a car cost?

For that power it's running with the Mazdaspeed3... and if they offer it for around 25K the GTI has MAJOR competition... heck I'd even want one for that price. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would NEVER sell me one. Yes it's still a Chevy, ie. UGLY, and which car will still have value at the end of your loan? Not the Chevy but my GTi will. And my GTi will still have paint. GM paint just flies off as you go down the highway.
Good Luck to anyone who buys one. We'll just keep driving our GTi's in comfort, luxury and confidence.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i think GM is really trying to step it up and i think their actually pulling it off :eek: .......slowly but their doing it ;)

i think i would certainly give this car a look i mean i dont really mind the look except the rims, but those are probably not gona be the rims in production, i mean 0 to 60 in 5.7 thats a whole second faster than the GTI, i know most of you guys are gona say the GTI still has quality over it and stuff but you never saw the inside of this car yet so we wouldnt know i mean the GTI wasnt all that pretty either but VW stepped it up so lets wait and see the actual production model before we start bashing on it

oh yeah it also has good handling
and i would most likely buy one of these unless gm really screwed up the interior

·
Registered
842 Posts
I will eat the interlagos cloth on my seats if GM produces an interior even 2/3's as good as the GTI's. You know what, these cars aren't even worth comparing. Totally different cars and philosophies - I don't have to wait to see another bland GM interior to bash it - I already know exactly what this car is. I wouldn't care if it went 0-60 in 3 seconds, and handled better than the GTI, and if it was $10,000 cheaper - I wouldn't be caught dead in one. All I see is a rental car with a jacked up motor and a ricer wing on the back.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
uncle dude said:
I will eat the interlagos cloth on my seats if GM produces an interior even 2/3's as good as the GTI's. You know what, these cars aren't even worth comparing. Totally different cars and philosophies - I don't have to wait to see another bland GM interior to bash it - I already know exactly what this car is. I wouldn't care if it went 0-60 in 3 seconds, and handled better than the GTI, and if it was $10,000 cheaper - I wouldn't be caught dead in one. All I see is a rental car with a jacked up motor and a ricer wing on the back.
seriously? If it was faster than a Corvette Z06 and only cost 11,000 dollars.. you wouldn't buy one? I would!

·
Registered
842 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
uncle dude said:
seriously? If it was faster than a Corvette Z06 and only cost 11,000 dollars.. you wouldn't buy one? I would!
Correct, I would walk first. Performance is only part of the overall picture in my house.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah that photo is gona look a bit fake since GM does phtoshop their photos of future cars and yeah performance is higher n my list than interior design and we never know what its really gona look like ( even though the interior is probably gona be plain and not so sophisticated as the GTI's) but still we never know what might happen

·
Registered
479 Posts
I hate to say what I'm about to say because I live in Cobalt country near Lordstown, OH where the Cobalt is produced. I had to (the key words being "had to") drive a rental Cobalt last week that had about 30,000 miles on it. Well, all I can say is when I traded in my Neon R/T with 120,000 miles on it for my GTI, I would have run back to my Neon before anybody forced that Cobalt on me, and that's not saying much!! I know rentals take a lot of abuse, but it's also a good sign of how a car will hold up over time. And people wonder why GM is in trouble. You could throw in 400 hp, but once the rest of it starts to age early ......well, you know! Let's just hope they improve the quality of the 2008 SS. I have a lot of friends and neighbors whose jobs depend on it! And yes, I've taken the abuse from them for owning a few foreign jobs over the years. So be gentle on me because of my harsh words about the Cobalt!

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it has the seats from the old SS, they're pretty damn nice. It says "new sport seats" though. Better, worse... probably the same ones, honestly. The rest of the interior is so-so. I doubt they'll change it much. Chevy has a little more style than Dodge with their sporty compacts, but not much.

Three things make me sad though. Wish I had them on my GTI:

Engine that makes as much HP as it can from the factory. Don't make me flash my chip. Just make it what it should be in the first place. Chevy and Dodge got that right at least.

Available limited slip diff. Holy cow, if this thing is as light as the old SS, that baby is gonna handle.

A-Pillar boost gauge.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Underneath the power figures, available LSD, and boost gauge, you're still going to have the quality issues. The previous Cobalt SS was infamous for having a supercharger that shitted out pretty quick. I agree that I wish the GTI had AT LEAST an LSD and that the engine could easily put out more power from the factory. However, I'd still rather buy the GTI and do those upgrades myself than deal with the shit that Chevy is undoubtedly going to have coming with production of the Cobalt and such low MSRP.

·
Registered
468 Posts
As others have said, it's still a Chevy, and an ugly one at that. That shit box was designed to sell to people that couldn't afford a quality car to drive.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
what an ugly car. and SEMA is known more for prototype cars then cars that actually make the market. and if it really goes come with 260hp the engine will be strained and will be killed. quality over quantity is a big one here for me. i read all the posts before even clicking the link and got a little excited but after clicking the link realized im not happy with it at all. thats just my .02 cents though. lets see what happens.

·
Banned
890 Posts
There is a reason I drive bye the Chevy lot without looking. They often produce nice looking vehicles (except for the massive wheel openings-what's up with that!?), but they don't hold up. Couple years ago I bought an Avalanche. Sticker was 42k(not what I paid),had it 16 months and couldn't take it anymore, traded that in on a Toyota Rav4 Sport,263hp. The Avalanche was valued at 16K by the same dealer who had bragged about resale value!!!!! When I started to walk out his line was,"do the right thing, buy American". Ahh, no. Got 24K toward trade in at Toyota, more than any bid I got on e-Bay.
Back to VW, not what I consider the most trouble free car, but mies ahead of GM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
remember too that one of the reasons the gti is so good is the engine. NO TURBO LAG (or so small you cant really tell) GM slapped on a big turbo and said 260 were done! its also missing two very important qualities passion and prestige

·
Registered
280 Posts
I love the solid feeling of my GTI. I used to have a Trans Am and it wasnt even remotely close as far as quality. Quality goes a long way in my book. I am a fan of the Brembos on the new cobalt though. That might be one of my next upgrades...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not a big fan of Chevys in general, but check out the new technology:

"No-lift shift: An algorithm in the engine's controller allows upshifts to be performed very quickly without lifting the throttle."

Sounds like they're trying to bridge the gap between a manual and a DSG. Give you stalwarts your stick, but let the tech help you shift faster... ;)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts