Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why??

1. Fairfax VA gives decent tax incentives for large company investments.
2. Dulles Airport is a major international airport with easy access to Washington (Nations Capital), Europe (including Germany), the entire East Coast and is a major hub for travel to the Mid West and California.
3. The area is completely new (constructed mostly within the last 20 years) so roads, highways and housing are all top notch.
4. Labor is reasonable, certainly less then the west coast.
5. VW is seeing major success with the remodel (not excluding the GTI).

Since I live in Maryland it is reasonably close for me but I donÂ’t think that is going to make much of a difference in my ownerÂ’s experience. Good to know that VW is doing well and investing money here in the good old USA.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Detroit loves the automotive industry and gives tax abatements for all the major players in the area.

Auburn hills is just minutes from Detroit airport - and the mecca that is the Auto industry. Detroit is a jumping off point as far as hubs go, much like Dulles.

Auburn Hills is not by any means "new" that could be one reason they are moving to Va, perhaps the size of their HQ in Auburn Hills is inadequate?

Labor i could see as being an incentive, except for the fact that VOA is just a corporate HQ - not a production facility.

in 2005 VW had a major oxygen sensor recall - 25 million dollars in repairs and a 1.1 million dollar fine with the EPA ( the largest of its kind in history ) so im not sure if the success the experience was offset by that major setback.

You did realize that VOA exists currently in Auburn Hills Michigan? which as far as i know is still considered good ole U.S.A ... them moving from michigan to virginia is hopefully not going to be pushed back on to us - the consumer - in the form of increased vehicle costs for the same car that cost us less, last year ...know what i mean? thats why i ask why? whats broken that needs fixed that cant be done already in Auburn Hills?

·
Registered
321 Posts
wlf said:
Why??

1. Fairfax VA gives decent tax incentives for large company investments.
2. Dulles Airport is a major international airport with easy access to Washington (Nations Capital), Europe (including Germany), the entire East Coast and is a major hub for travel to the Mid West and California.
3. The area is completely new (constructed mostly within the last 20 years) so roads, highways and housing are all top notch.
4. Labor is reasonable, certainly less then the west coast.
5. VW is seeing major success with the remodel (not excluding the GTI).

Since I live in Maryland it is reasonably close for me but I donÂ't think that is going to make much of a difference in my ownerÂ's experience. Good to know that VW is doing well and investing money here in the good old USA.
I going to have to disagree with part of #3. Although the Fairfax area is relatively new, the DC metro area as a whole is among the oldest in the US. Perhaps many of the road surfaces are new but that doesn't fix the problem that they were never meant to handle the sort of traffic present in this area. I lived in Woodbridge, VA and commuted into DC for a little over 3 years. I hated every second of the commute. In fact, that is the number one reason I left that area. The number two reason is the cost of living.

Just my 3 cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts